ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   Banshee sprockets and chain (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/186061-banshee-sprockets-chain.html)

screaminjlew 01-05-2005 12:35 AM

Banshee sprockets and chain

I purchased a new chain and 2 new sprockets for my banshee last year. I purchased the 13 tooth renthal front,(14 tooth stock) 41 tooth sunstar rear and the stock length DID Atv x-ring chain. Now I am running out of adjustment, If I remove one full link the chain it will be too short....and I don't want to add a half link so, I was thinking of adding one tooth more on the rear too take up the slack. When I put this new setup on my bike I didn't have much adjustment to begin with because of the smaller front sprocket, so if I bump up the rear one tooth will that solve my problem?, I don't mind gearing it down a little more[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Please help[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Jlew

BURKEDADDY 01-05-2005 07:23 AM

you cant add a half of a link. the chain needs a even number of inner and outer links to work.just cutout 2 links, one outer and one inner, that should work fine.

maddog56 01-05-2005 07:44 AM

Usually one tooth up or down on the rear sprocket is enough to take care of that kind of issue. I had to drop from a 41 rear to a 40 on my bike to accommodate this problem. Adding one tooth to yours should take care of it for you.

Burkedaddy, where do you think the term "half-link" originated? There is such a thing...

BURKEDADDY 01-05-2005 08:01 AM

Originally posted by: maddog56
Usually one tooth up or down on the rear sprocket is enough to take care of that kind of issue. I had to drop from a 41 rear to a 40 on my bike to accommodate this problem. Adding one tooth to yours should take care of it for you.

Burkedaddy, where do you think the term "half-link" originated? There is such a thing...
ive never heard of the term half link. so half link is going up or down 1 tooth on the rear sprocket?

DRoCk 01-05-2005 09:14 AM

No, a half link is just that...half of a link. They are basically just a small link.

BURKEDADDY 01-05-2005 09:29 AM

Originally posted by: DRoCk
No, a half link is just that...half of a link. They are basically just a small link.
yup i just did some looking around and found some OffSet Half Link forsale.see this is why i come here learn something new all the time[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
but i though he was talking about cutting just one inner link or just one outerlink out of the chain. got the wires crossed i guess[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

toy4rox 01-05-2005 10:08 AM

1 tooth in frunt is like 2-3 in the rear so 1 tooth in the rear will give little gear change but should give the addjustment you need

screaminjlew 01-05-2005 10:18 PM

Thank you all for you input on this topic I really do appreciate your suggestions! If anyone else has any ideas......please respond

thank you, JLew[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

screaminjlew 01-07-2005 01:42 AM

Originally posted by: maddog56

If I add one tooth to the rear that should take up the slack but, I am not sure that I want my bike geared that low? I do run 8 paddle haulers 20x10x10 and I am a big guy (280lbs) if I was to go to a 40 tooth front and keep the 13 front could I just remove one complete link from the chain and that would give me more adjustment ? Like I said earlier I am running a stock size chain 104 links, I think that is stock size but, not sure?

I would appreciate all insight on this topic, this site is truly the best one on the web!

thanx,
JLew[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]