ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   Give me your opinion of my painted plastics (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/195606-give-me-your-opinion-my-painted-plastics.html)

King660r 03-14-2005 03:05 PM

Give me your opinion of my painted plastics

Check out my pics of my plastics I painted with Krylon fusion. Tell me what you think

PADZZ 03-14-2005 03:44 PM

Looks good! How's it going to hold up is the question, though.

King660r 03-14-2005 03:50 PM

Well i can already answer that. The paint scratches extremely easy but i tried to scratch the paint off with my fingernail and it held up fine. The pics dont really do it justice, they basically look brand new. I just got tired of the stress marks in the blue. I already have fullbore on hand when the painted ones scratch up (probably on the first ride). I probably put a lot of work in them for nothing.

jrobertson 03-14-2005 05:04 PM

nice. I have the same color scheme as you do. you need to get the frame powder coated now [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. I am thinking about just getting new factory blue plastics, but I want to do something different with the radiator cover. what all work went into the painting? how grit did you use to sand, did you use a feeler substance? how many coats, did you use a clear coat, or is their an additive in the fusion. I have heard good things of the krylon fusion.
John

pietrangolare 03-14-2005 05:22 PM

looks great[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

maddog56 03-14-2005 05:25 PM

The raptor 80 on my gallery page has a painted hood, bar cover and tank cover. Holds up alright.

King660r 03-20-2005 02:56 AM

thanks everyone. I started out with 400 grit sandpaper, then 750 and finished with 1500 grit with all wet sanding. I put on about 7-8 coats and it just wasnt looking smooth, so i wet sanded again with the 1500 and gave em couple more coats. A lot of work for something that will look like crap after one ride. The pics really dont do em justice, they look basically brand new. I was getting sick of the white stress marks in the blue plastic.

VelociRaptor350 03-20-2005 03:46 AM

My hood is painted to, its holding up great, you just have to let it cure for the time they say, i think it was 7-8 days before your install it.

Turtler 03-20-2005 12:38 PM

Sorry to hear about the paint peeling but those muskie pics look awesome!

King660r 03-20-2005 02:01 PM

Thanks, i keep muskie fever. My paint never peeled it just wasnt even and looked "bumpy". After another sanding and paint its smooth and has a mirror finish. Its really good paint but it seems like it would scratch very easy.