ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   Banshee Problems (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/19900-banshee-problems.html)

Maverick01 09-28-2000 11:36 PM

I am not for sure what is going on. The day after my two day trip, I noticed my Banshee became Very hot. I noticed that the coolant was low, so I added some. Now it boils all of the coolant out within ten minutes of riding. Is there a special coolant I should have bought or is there another problem

aggromoose 09-28-2000 11:42 PM

better check the water pump make sure it is in one piece. It is made of plastic and if it gets to hot it will fall apart. If that is what happened you can get a steal one for about $100
stock one is about $35.

sAyIt_fmf 09-29-2000 09:29 AM

I had the same problem about a year ago...They are right. The plastic gear will actually melt if you over heat really bad. After it melts, the fins can't move anymore liquid.
I would look into it more....If that's your problem, the metal gear will help.

BansheeBrad 09-29-2000 09:58 AM

Yep, I bet anything it's the gear on the waterpump, while you have it apart consider switching to the ProDesign Water pump impellor. It does a much better job of moving water in the cooling system.

Just my $.02
Brad

Grandpa 09-29-2000 10:32 AM

Have to agree with Brad...A few years ago I had the same problem with my banshee and installed the pro design impeller and it has worked super ever since.

Jennifer 09-29-2000 04:16 PM

Well something else for you to check after the water pump impeller. If that is it and that fixes it good, but if not check your radiator cap. My dad had replaced his impeller after some damage and it still overheated. The rubber on the radiator cap was not sealing good.

REDYAM 09-29-2000 07:03 PM

Dont forget to replace your coolant once it boils it will boil easyer the second time it looses its effectiveness but banshees always boil so...

lt550r 09-29-2000 09:24 PM

just took out the banshee i bought used, and i believe it is doing the same thing after running it for about 30 minutes it begins to leak out the overflow onto the exhaust. Please confirm if that is what is happening on your machines. And how hard is it to put in a new impeller? thank you gentlemen for your information

aggromoose 09-30-2000 11:04 PM

so was that the problem

jg47588 10-04-2000 05:13 PM

Hey. My Banshee has been running out of the overflow onto the exhaust since it was new in '99. The very first time I rode it it happened. My dealer told me not to worry about it, that they all do that. I've been riding it like that for a year and a half now. Could it have come with a bad impellar or would it have siezed up from over-heating by now if that was the problem?

Jennifer 10-04-2000 06:41 PM

They actually told you not to worry? Mine is a 93 and it rarely overheats. Only time it bubbles a little bit of water is after about an hour of consistent drag racing at the dunes. Then it spits a few drops out. I used to work at a Yamaha shop and believe me their advice can be trusted very little sometimes.

jg47588 10-04-2000 08:55 PM

Yeah, the dealer told me not to worry; they all do it. The service shop there stays pretty backed up, so he probably didn't want to take the time to look into it. I will say I've seen several Banshees do it, but certainly not all. Mine did it after about the first five minutes of riding it when it was new. I don't even have to be running it hard. It doesn't seem to be hot, and it doesn't lose any power. I just re-routed the overflow so that it drains between the pipes instead of on the right one, and I just top off the antifreeze level before each ride. I can't imagine it coming from the dealer with a bad water pump, but I can't imagine what else it could be either. Any ideas? It seems like if it was going to hurt anything it would have done it by now. I've ridden it that way for a year and a half now.

blue_banshee 10-05-2000 07:02 PM

ok most of you all are just worrying for nothing, the banshee overflows all he time when the motor is put into use(whining outthe gears and running hard) but as for the guy who has it happening after 10min, yea the impeller is gone, replace it with a prodesign one for 79.95 fro JL Enterprises out of dirtwheels...all banshees with overflow, now when u start adding more mods to increase performance, it doesn do it as much, when u run alcohol(runs soo cool) it doesnt do it at all...the coolant comes from the bottle behind your airbox unde the rear fender, check the level in there every ride. u can relocate the hose so it doesnt make nasty marks on your pipes by adding a connector to the hose and adding more hose the ame size, run in to the very bottom of your frame and the prblem is solved...hope i helped a lil bit

free1steven 10-05-2000 11:49 PM

A Banshee that has an overheating problem and is losing fluid could be running to lean or have a bad head gasket.
When you fill the system with fluid you are actually over filling it slightly. The excess is lost out the overflow tube. You should not loose anymore fluid after that. Are you mixing your fluid at 50/50?