ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   Just got a Kodiak (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/20665-just-got-kodiak.html)

Pensykodiak 10-09-2000 10:47 PM

I've been reading on the forums about how good the Kodiak is and I just bought one 3 weeks ago. I thougt I would let you all know how I like it. This is my first quad so I did a little research before I decided on it. I needed something that I could go hunting in the Pa. mountains with. I also wanted a quad that would be versatile enough to do some work with. I love everything about it so far. It is faster than I thought it would be. It pulls a trailer filled with logs like it doesn't even know it's attached. It climbs hills really well. On trails I can whip around turns with just a flick of the throttle. I haven't gone through any deep water yet so I can't report on the tranny belt. I did get stuck in mud the first day I got it, but that was my fault. I thought you have to go slow through mud and my friend had to pull me out with his Polaris. So far no problems other than the foot brake had to be adjusted. I shot my first deer of the season last Saturday and I got to christen the Kodiak. This ATV stuff is a blast. I wish I had known this a long time ago.

Jeepers 10-09-2000 10:57 PM

congrats - I've had mine for almost a year - allow me to make a list of things that will go bad on you ........................
oh well, that's the end of my list
this is the BEST quad I have ever owned (5th)

Pensykodiak 10-09-2000 11:06 PM

Jeepers, do you have the stock tires? I put Slime in mine because I read how bad the Dunlops are. When I wear these babies out I want to get some good rubber.

FKNA 10-10-2000 09:16 AM

Pensy, The Kodiak is a good machine. Let me tell you a couple of things to expect. The rear pads will NOT last very long. My Kodiak is only three months old, I never use rear brakes due to the excellent engine braking yet I still had to change my rear pads already. Sand, dirt and mud gets up in there and just eats away at those pads. As far as the belt goes in deep water as long as water stays below the racks you're ok. Water can even come over the racks momentarily with no problem. But if the water is over the rack for too long or if you lose forward momentum you will take on water quick and the belt WILL slip. Only way I have found to get all the water out is to stand it on the rear end and tilt it back a bit. The drain plug is poorly located, it will NOT drain enough of the water out. However, I was just at the dealership last week and they told me the way to use the drain plug is to allow the water to drain out, once done rev the engine (preferrably with a buddy plugging the exhaust) and this will force the remaining water out. I haven't put this to the test yet, but will this weekend when I go out.

Like you, this is my first 4-wheeler....I had a 3-wheeler once...Anyway, I did a lot of research and the Kodiak is a pretty versatile machine and as time goes on, your good decision will only be reinforced. It holds up really well. I have put mine through pure hell so far just to make sure it's going to hold up. After all, those warranties are only 6 months so if something was going to go wrong, I wanted to make sure it happens soon. hahaha...

kodiac 10-10-2000 11:52 AM

Hey Pensy:
Congrats on your new Kodiak, & your deer hunt. I've had my Kodiak for 6 months now & the only thing I had to rectify was the squeaking front shocks. It was just a matter of turning the base bolt in each shock 1/8 turn counterclockwise. But other than that it passed the summer in flying colors. I've been in mud & water over my tires & have had no problems as of yet with belt slippage.I put it to the ultimate test this moose season by pulling an 800lb moose (5 pts). My previous atv was a Suzuki quad. It was a great bike also but my decision this time was the Y2K. I know now I made the right decision. I am looking forward to our deer season this fall, as my truck will be staying at the camp. Just double check all your intake clamps as some might be a little loose. Enjoy your purchase & keep in touch this hunting season....
Kodiac....
Y2K Utramatic 400
Bush Bars, Fender guards
Pilano Gun boot & Bracket
2000 Lbs Warn Winch
Pass. Foot Pads
Hand & thumb warmer.
P.S. The Huntings great here in N.B.

ATV_MAN 10-10-2000 04:56 PM

Hey Kodiac,

You should see all the hunters and all the stores that are selling hunting items here in Ontario...it's getting wild. Their must be some good and big animals here. I don't hunt, I like to see wildlife. Hunters ask if they can take their quads back in our bush to hunt but my dad says no.
What do you hunt out there in N.S.??

Pensy- what colour is your Kodiak??, if you got the green coloured one I'd trade it...I just saw a used one I was looking at and the fenders were all scratched and it was easy to see far away, but it all depends on what kind of terrain you ride on to make them all scratched up.

therock 10-10-2000 06:54 PM

My 2 cents.
Check the Tranny cooling ducts hose type clamp connectors for proper tightness. Some have shipped loose and let water in. Just make sure they are snug.
I agree on the Shock Sqweek fix. Loosen the lower bolt just a Tad.
My rear brake pads are OK at 100+ hours. Not all of them go bad as soon as others.

kodiac 10-10-2000 06:55 PM

Atv-Man,
Are you from a farm, as there are many farmers here who let some people hunt thier property because the deer population around their farms get to be a little much & the deer ruin a lot of their crops. Here in N.B. we hunt deer, moose, bear,rabbit, coyotes, ruffed grouse, woodcock, ducks, pheasants, etc. And I also shoot them with a camera. I make it a point only to hunt what I eat. That narrows it down to moose, deer,& ruffed grouse. ( partridge ) I wish we had the variety in hunting products down here as you probably do in Ontario. Hunting is a big factor also in the ecology. Our moose & deer herds are strictly monitored, and deer permits are regulated accordingly.
By the way...tell your buddy with the green Kodiak to smother his bike in Armor-All after every use. The scratches will be unoticable. And if he stores it for any length of time to purchase a bottle of Marine boat & yaught shine. It will make his bike look like new. Mine is green also & it still looks like new. Catch you L8tr.

kodiac 10-10-2000 07:11 PM

I agree what you say about the pads, therock. I have over 1600km on my Y2K. Out of curiosity I took my rear wheel off yesterday to check the pads & found there was still at least 1/3rd wear yet to go. I'm wondering if when they were installed at the factory if they were installed too tight as on mine I noticed a couple of filler shims which seem to keep the pad a hair from the rotor at all times. Any way it's a great atv and I am pleased with my purchase.
By the way...What would you recomend as a good tire for replacement after these stocks wear out? I find these Dunlops kinda soft & unstable.
Thanks for any info .......

ATV_MAN 10-10-2000 07:12 PM

Yes I live on a farm...we own the whole 75 acre property.
The guy with the Kodiak isn't my buddy...he would be if he could lower the price he wanted for his Kodiak at $7300...I think that's too much, he should have started at $7000. So I won't tell him anything about shining it up...and make him look bad when he sells it...LOL, you should see it... it's terrible...it looks 20 years old.