ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   street legal in Texas (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/214238-street-legal-texas.html)

Karny 08-21-2005 03:36 AM

street legal in Texas

Ive done some talking to a few different people about this idea. Im not sure on Texas law about ATV's nor am I sure my ideas will work. Also, Ive heard several topics like Tires, or solid back axle, cant make a 2 stroke street legal, and a few more. I read on one of these forums about a guy modifing his atv and getting a new title from yamaha that changed it from ATV to multi purpose or somthing like that. Tires im not conserned with, there are millions of tires to run out there. The solid back axle is tricky, and Ive seen quads with a single tire in the rear. To me, yeah its cool, but im not doing that to my banshee. Thats like buying a 150,000 custom made bike from Orange County Choppers and making it into a trike. However, I do have a design to make a swingarm for a banshee that will not be a sollid back axle, instead it will be independant suspention, hopefully without changing the look of it too much. I am currently checking into the laws in Texas about what can be done. The "ATV" label messes it up pretty back it seems in texas cause they define an ATV as we all know them pretty much, and flat out say they are not and never will be street legal. My mission, should I choose to accept it, is get around this law and well help others do it too. I see street bikes in packs cruising around the streets all the time. I want to be in the middle of an ATV pack ALL street legal, and cruising around town having fun. If anyone is interested in helping me out, shoot me and Email. JAMoore_bnsf@yahoo.com. I know we can get this done without breaking the bank.

HooPharted 08-21-2005 12:54 PM

street legal in Texas

here in West Virginia,they did make quads "street legal" for about 2 years,,,no modifications,just bikes as they came off the showroom floor,with just a few stipulations

1),,,had to be 18 years old with a valid drivers license (no special indorsment,just what you need to operate a car)
2),,,had to wear a helmet
3),,,had to have headlights,and tail lights
4),,,and you could only ride on secondary roads (meaning backroads,,,,if it had painted lines,not authorized)

they did this as a test to see about if it would be worth while to impliment a regulatory structure for "ATV's" (license tags,yearly tax,drivers license endorsement",,,,unfortunatly,the amount of deaths increased dramatically,,,coupled with the fact that people totally ignored the guidelines (under age,helmets,lighting,and the types of roads) from A-Z,they decided to abandon the idea

i live in a really rural area,and we still ride on the roads to trail hop,and have even passed cops on the road,and have never been stopped yet,but we (my group) ride like we have some sense,and i guess it doesnt hurthaving a Sheriffs Deputy that rides with us from time to time either

your dream is a good one,but unfortunatly wont happen,,,,they say for the amount of power,and lack of visability to other motorests,its too much liability,,,,also not to mention the insurance rates that would be required to make such a vehical street legal,and you can bet the insurance companys will be either all over it (extremely high),,,or will NOT be willing to touch it with a 10 foot pole

Turtler 08-21-2005 01:02 PM

street legal in Texas

Karny,

I have an easy solution to your problem, move to Arizona. I have my raptor street legal and I have ridden it on everything from sidestreets to the freeway. I can tell you going 70mph on pavement is a bit unnerving. The trail tires arent exactly balanced and the steering is pretty quick. Good luck making things happen in Texas.

Karny 08-21-2005 01:08 PM

street legal in Texas

My banshee is set up for street pretty much. I have a stearing dampiner, its lowered so its not top heavy, the only thing i need to do is buy tires, but im not buying those unless I get it street legal. I guess I need to look into arizona law as a way to maybe show my point to these guys in Texas. If not then we are going to build a "4 Wheeler" using a banshee sized frame with a street bike motor in it. Thats coming later, first im going to try to get the banshee street legal, then if not ill make a "special vehicle" just for that reason.

HooPharted 08-21-2005 01:26 PM

street legal in Texas

turtler,,,how much is the insurance to run your bike on the roads? Arizona doesnt have manditory insurance?

Turtler 08-21-2005 02:22 PM

street legal in Texas

Arizona does have mandatory insurance. It costs me about $125/year, comprehensive coverage through Progressive. License plate tags run me about $90/year. I had to have an electric horn, brake light, and rear view mirror, proof of insurance, and of course get the tag from Dept. of Motor Vehicles. They didn't even require me to have emissions testing or even inspect the vehicle.

HooPharted 08-21-2005 03:01 PM

street legal in Texas

thats not bad at all

Raptorlegs 08-21-2005 03:02 PM

street legal in Texas

"4 strokes are like tampons every p*ssy has one?"

Is EVERY Banshee owner just an a-hole in denial? What, you don't own a car or you're calling yourself a p*ssy??? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Karny 08-21-2005 05:36 PM

street legal in Texas

Dude grow up its a joke. Its something i tell to all the raptors and 450's I smoke. I accually own a yfz450, but I still love that saying, cause when they get beat by a 2 stroke banshee they always cry. Thats not fair you have pipes and yours is jetted. Kinda like your doing now.

Raptorlegs 08-21-2005 05:48 PM

street legal in Texas

Originally posted by: Karny
Dude grow up its a joke. Its something i tell to all the raptors and 450's I smoke. I accually own a yfz450, but I still love that saying, cause when they get beat by a 2 stroke banshee they always cry. Thats not fair you have pipes and yours is jetted. Kinda like your doing now.

I'm not crying, just don't put up with smack. I've owned a couple of both and they both have their place. Funny though, I always see those 660's and ds650's hold their own out at Kermit. You'll have to give me a heads up so I can watch you race.

Loser buys the beer. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]