Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Blaster running loud and knocking after warmup?

Old 09-06-2005, 06:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blaster running loud and knocking after warmup?

The Model is a 2000 Blaster after it warms up it makes a loud knocking sound the cycle only has 25 hours or so on it. Is this a concern I noticed its still smoking when we are riding and has good top end and bottom end, but just makes a clanking sound while idling that it never did before, any ideas what the problem maybe? I put new gas in the unit last week and just noticed this clanking noise when we went on a about hour trail ride in the mountains, the oil light did come on, but it was 3/4 full of 2 Cycle Oil and went off immediately on this ride which I didn't understand. Any ideas on what I should do or should I keep riding the unit? Thanks so for your help

Old 09-06-2005, 09:42 PM
Trailblazer

I don't mean to scare you or anything, but usually loud clanking or knocking is to do with a worn crank and main bearings or a very worn topend. With a bike with 25 hours on it none of this should happen if it hasnt been mistreated, such as violent overevving, runnin no oil on you air filter causeing everything to wear out super fast do to it sucking in dust and dirt. Run r' Till she blows!, But if found that pretty much all blasters make a lot of unusual noise.

Old 09-06-2005, 09:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

The odd thing the cycle does not make the knocking noise until it gets good and warmed up say 10 minutes into riding is when it starts when idling, you never notice it on top end or bottom end just on idle... WHen you first crank it doesn't make the noise..Thanks for your reply..

Old 09-06-2005, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

hmmmmm uhh idk 2 strokes but id check it over if i were u it sounds baddd..

Old 09-07-2005, 02:48 AM
Range Rover

I would check the oil injector. I just bought my daughter an 06 Blaster and I ordered the block off the night we got the bike and she was not allowed to ride it until I got it installed. I have heard of numerous Blaster oil injector going out and blowing top ends and cranks. I only say this because you mentioned that the ouil light came on and then off again. That means to me that the injector failed at least once. Try to find exactly where the noise comes from ie. bottom end, top end, clutch side, stator side. 2 strokes are simple motors for the most part.

Old 09-09-2005, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider

I'd think that it was in the bearings somewhere. I'd say that your injector quit and is working again but the damage is already done. You might get away with new bearings. I'm not sure though.

Old 09-26-2005, 11:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

my best friend had the same problem with his blaster its piston slapping he also had to fix something with the oil it didnt have anything to do with the injector thou well hes buying a wiseco piston kit and boring.20

Old 09-27-2005, 10:30 AM
Range Rover

I have to agree with the others , it sounds like the oil injection did fail at one time while you were riding , blasters are great quads , thats why they have been around for so long but the injection on them is known to fail and believe me they will fail one time or another , find out where the sound is comming from and then determine what it is and do your self a favor and get an oil injection block off kit ,. there cheap and very easy to install.
Good Luck.