ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   Best way to lock my Raptor up in my garage....PLEASE HELP!!!!! (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/21584-best-way-lock-my-raptor-up-my-garage-please-help.html)

RaptorRules 10-22-2000 08:26 PM

I need every suggestion possible on how to lock my Raptor up in my garage. What part of the ATV should I connect the chain or whatever to? Please help. Thanks in advance.

ATV_MAN 10-22-2000 10:31 PM

I don't know if this will help but here it goes...

Our house was broken into a couple years back, the policeman who was here said to get some of thise security stickers and put them on every door so the theift knows theirs an alarm(but their really isn't) or You could put a fake(non working) camera up on your garage so the theift thinks he's being watched, and run a cable under ground a bit.

Raptor420 10-22-2000 10:41 PM

Chain It to your riding mower thats what I do. ight through thr a-arm. That will give the best of theives trouble.

radgumby350 10-22-2000 10:53 PM

this is a must!!!
go to home depot and buy a kriptonite lock for locking ladders to ladder racks. it goes thru your srocket and the rotor. they sell the brake rotor locks at the bike shopes but it is like $30 bucks! the one at home depot is like $14 or so and it goes thru both. it is shaped like a u. while you are there get a nice thick chane and good lock to lock the frame to something that is big and secure!
P.S. ALLWAYS HAVE INSURANCE ON THE BIKE IT IS CHEAP!!! mine is $120 a year for full cov. on a 98 banshee!
godd luck hope i helped out on keeping your bike for a long time!

justhonda 10-23-2000 12:58 AM

when i go on vacation i usually get a large master lock and put it through the hole or the sprocket making sure it goes around the chain, that will stop any roll off, and it not as easy to cut as a cable lock or one of those large u locks which only have like 5/16 diameter "pins." The lock i use is at least 3/8 or 7/16 of an inch in diameter making it tough to use bolt cutters, also insurance sounds good on that 7000 dollar raptor that everyone wants. good luck on keeping it secure.

brokemybanshee 10-23-2000 02:05 AM

I use a big piece of chain, like 20 ft, 2 masterlocks, run it around the frame and lock it, then run it through something like the back sprocket and lock it up. Although I usually lock it to a tree I would imagine that would work, but ya never know.. chances are if somebody is out to steal your wheeler it really does not matter what you do, if they want it that bad to break into your garage then Id imagine theyd steal it no matter what the chain.? Get insurance :-) Homeowners should cover that?

garyc660R 10-23-2000 09:08 AM

Kryptonite (spelled right?) makes some awesome locks, chains, and various security items. Do a search on Kryptonite and read up on their stuff. Also, do you have a light/motion sensor around the garage. My final thoughts are that a thief will get your ride if they really want it. I could'nt sleep if I did'nt have insurance on mine.

Chawness 10-23-2000 10:08 AM

When we are at the races, we sleep in the box trailer, so the quads set outside. I found that a regular master lock will fit right in the holes of the rear brake disc. I don’t know if the Raptor has holes in the rear disc, if it does this is a cheap and easy safeguard. Also think about chaining it to something heavy or stationary inside your garage.

If you are that worried about it, why not get an alarm installed in your garage? ADT is about $25 a month and you can often talk them into waiving the installation fee.

ptlm3 10-23-2000 12:42 PM

There is really no perfect way to keep anything safe from being stolen unless you sit and watch it 24/7. There are a few measures you can take to make stealing it more troublesome for the thief. I have been a Police Officer for 11 years and have seen that if someone really wants something they will get it. So make getting insurance your number one priority. The other posts here have listed alot of good information. The only thinng I would add to them is make sure you lock your garage,(All the stolen ATV reports I have taken occurred when the owner left the atv outside in the back of their truck on their trailer or in an unlocked garage.). When locking your atv and you use the padlock through the rear sprocket make sure you secure the front end also or the theive(s) will pick up the back end and wheel it out. Remember raptors aren't that heavy so they can be picked up carried away, so your better off chaining it to something big using a chain or cable thats too thick to cut by bolt cutters and hard enough to make hack sawing take too long. Finally if your Raptor does get stolen despite your security measures, it is usually someone you know or a kid and his buddies that lives down the street. Please remember to get that Raptor insured it will help you sleep at night.

EasterEgg 10-23-2000 01:27 PM

I also put a lock in the track for the garage door so the door can not be opened. This has worked because someone broke into the garage to steel the quad but could not get the door open. When I went into the garage and found this my Scrambler was on it`s side in front of the walk through door, like they tried to fit it through NOT. HTH

98 Scrambler 500
00 Trailblazer 250