Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor 700R owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 08:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Lazy Boy Rider!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 700R owners

Originally posted by: socalzilladuner [Do you have to reprogram the fuel system to change the pipe? I was going to switch pipes back and forth depending on where I ride. I was thinking of selling my zilla and buying the new raptor, but I would need to change pipes. Thanks for your help.
Yes, you do, even with an air filter change you have to reprogram your fuel.

Old 12-04-2005, 09:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks,
Have you done this? If so how hard is it and how much is a programer?

Old 12-04-2005, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

My little brother was thinking about getting the 700r. Has anyone else had any problems with the motors ? I would definetely prefer it over the yfz for trails, well I shouldn't say that yet as I haven't ridden the 700r. But I have ridden the yfz, my older brother has one. I'd rather have reverse for the trails though.

Old 12-05-2005, 04:18 PM
Trailblazer

I'm The only person that has had any engine problems that I'm aware of. I have seached the web and talked to alot of different mechanics. at various dealerships and have not heard of any other engine problems, with that said I can honestly say I still beleive in the product.
Althought my situation truly sucks after spending $14K on two New 700r,s and having this engine problem atfter about 4 hrs. run time, then bringing it to the dealer to be told they need to rip off the top end of my engine and it might not be covered under warranty so be prepaired for a labor bill of about $420.00 if Yamaha doesnt cover it, but they will let me know after it"s apart. YA FFFFF WHO THATS EXCITING HUN! Right now they have it apart and have decided Yamaha will cover it. If Only I could feel a little bit more confident they knew what " it " was. So far they have inspected the complete combustion chamber, ripped the valves and seals out of the head and dont see any damage.
The Dealer and Yamaha has decided the problem is the compression rings on the pistion where not installed properly at the factory ( THE RING ENDS NEED TO BE 180 DEGREES APART FROM ONE ANOTHER ) Mine Where at 0 degrees and lots of oil was passing throuht and getting on top the piston. My Quesion was why does my piston have that silly little thing underneath the two compression rings, you know, called an oil ring.,and why does my collant resivor seem to almost explode when I rev the engine? I Did'nt get a very educated response to either question. They are now putting it back together with a brand spanking new head and base gasket and of course turning those rings 180 apart.
I'LL keep every one posed on the mess.
The Moral of this story is ( GREAT BIKE NOT SO GOOD DEALER )
Very Comfortabe bike to ride, great performance in open desert. great cornering. My only mild complaint would be the front end feels a little heavier than I like. Seems like it's alot more work going fast 60 or 70 mph over whoops, but I only have about about 4 hrs. ride time on this bike. Have'nt tweaked any suspension spring preload or dampening for my riding style, or weight.

Old 12-05-2005, 04:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

I got to tell you that sounds like bull!!!!!!!!! The only way to get compresion in the cooling system is head gasket 0r a crack that shares space in the engine like head ,jug bottomend. maybe I read wrong but does not make sense.

Old 12-05-2005, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider

If it were me and I was the tech at the dealership after hearing your description of the problem, I would have pressurized the cooling system with a cooling system tester. There has to be a crack or leak somewhere to let combustion gases into the cooling system. Then a leakdown test if the cooling system test was inconclusive.

Don't they train these guys??

Old 12-05-2005, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

Was there a sign of coolant in the oil?
I know a guy who has a DS 650 and his rings were put on upside down brand new, and he was getting a lot of blow by (oil) into his arifilter through the crankcase vent to air box. He did not know what the problem was and the dealer had no idea. He then took it to a aftermarket place and tore it apart and found the problem.

Old 12-05-2005, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

Compression rings constantly spin on the piston until they find their happy spot. Even if they were lined up, it would not cause any noticable symptoms.

This is some kind of casting problem or major defect.

Sorry, but your dealer is in over their head. Typical. If I were you, I would contact Yamaha customer service, inform them of the situation and either get them to replace the engine or the complete bike. If not, you will have problems for the life of the bike.

Old 12-05-2005, 11:53 PM
Trailblazer

I am 6' 7", 235 lbs. and the bike is Ok for me. Being this height, not too much fits, even cars. I graduated from the larger 89 Quadzilla 500 and wanted to update in technology. In the "sport quad" category, the Raptor 700r was the best stock bang for the buck. They (motorcycle dealers) tried to get me on a Kawasaki 700 and that felt like a "farm vehicle" with no suspension. The DS650 was actually a nice fit, but the "stock performance" was not there. I think I made a good choice with the 700r and added a few goodies as you can see below. I use it for Glamis Dunes in SoCal and thought the "thumper" type bike was not a performer compared to my quadzilla. I was impressed for what it was. Looking forward to more aftermarket add-ons like everyone else is!! Have fun and be safe!

Old 12-06-2005, 01:41 PM
Trailblazer

There was no visible oil in the coolant, but I caught this problem early and the engine only has about 15min. run time on it with this condition. Im 99% sure the combustion chamber was getting coolant in it, because when I started it after it was cold for aprox. 1.5 ---- 2. min. and then shut it off the pipe was emitting a white vapor trail about 10" high for about 30 sec.
I can't see how any oil in the engine would heat up that quickly and do this.

Checked the air box and filter before bringing it in and there was no sign of any blow by oil in that area. The moment I saw this problem I rode back to camp and checked the oil res, and it was overflowing when the dip stick came out, so I quickly put it back in. The next morning I checked the oil cold and it was down to a normal level. which would indicate to me combustion chamber air in the crankcase.

I Think I'll take the advice above and call Yamaha, but I have been waiting to see if the dealer was going to get it together, not wanting to **** them off and get 0 customer service.
I guess at this point it doesnt really matter if they get there panities in a bunch.

Quick Reply: Raptor 700R owners