ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   01 warrior electric start issues... (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/219020-01-warrior-electric-start-issues.html)

trioxide 10-09-2005 02:10 PM

01 warrior electric start issues...

OK my warrior is starting to annoy me. out on the trails about a month ago, she failed to start and we had to tow it back. I thought I fixed it when I replaced the starter solenoid, it started up fine i rode it around for MAYBE 10-15 minutes then she stalled, did'nt want to start up again so we roll-started it. rode it for maybe 3 minutes, shut it down and when i went to start it again the starter got weaker and weaker but it finnaly started, I shut it down, and then it would just plain not start, no turning over, no nothing.
So I ordered a new starter, this did nothing for me, she still won't start. I busted out the ohm meter and checked the starter coil and sparkplug cap, it showed they were off so i ordered new starter coil and sparkplug cap. this also did nothing for me, still no start. so i checked the on/off, start, headlight handlebar swithces and found one was bad so i ordered a new handlebar switch setup figuring that would solve my problems. but no, she STILL will not start. main fuse is good, battery is good and i have replaced pretty much everything that i can think of (starter, starter solenoid, starter coil, spark plug cap). I am by no means a yamaha expert but I think by process of elemination, it MUST be the CDI sending unit. Is that right? I ordered a rev max aftermarket CDI box that should be here by next weekend, will this finnaly solve my starting problems?

thanks in advance for any info you guys can provide

Steve Webb[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

trioxide 10-09-2005 04:03 PM

anyone?

swampman 10-09-2005 04:20 PM

you know what really ticked me off about the warriors was the fact that they were electric start. I ran into the same problem and I finally traced it back to the battery where the connectors were so picky, that just a small twist and even a little bit of a bad connection made it not want to start and do like your saying. so we redone the one connector, it worked for a week. then the other one went bad so if I were you. I would replace or check the battery connectors, its pretty cheap too.

jaggers2e42 10-09-2005 04:39 PM

yeah i have some trouble out of the electric start on my warrior.2 starters,1 bendix gear,and finally a starter clutch.but make sure your battery has a good connection [thats where i always start].and that cdi box man that thing sucks.but if you are able to pull start it then it's proably not the cdi.be sure to check that battery out!

trioxide 10-09-2005 05:40 PM

the neutral light comes on when the key is turned so i'm pretty sure the battery is good. I'll try jumping it with my car to be sure. I can bypass the solenoid and start it like that.

trioxide 10-09-2005 08:14 PM

bump

swampman 10-09-2005 08:19 PM

one thing the connection was doing to me on the battery was sometimes when you turned the lights on, they would be kinda dim and sometimes the starter solenoid would start buzzing like the battery was to low, but it wasn't

jaggers2e42 10-09-2005 08:23 PM

Originally posted by: trioxide
the neutral light comes on when the key is turned so i'm pretty sure the battery is good. I'll try jumping it with my car to be sure. I can bypass the solenoid and start it like that.
yeah but it takes alot more juice to turn that motor over then it does to work that little light.i don't like the jump start idea because the warrior stator and cdi can be cooked with a power spike or something frowm the car.i would take a voltage test on the battery and maybe even try to charge it all night..couldn't hurt might even save you a couple 100

trioxide 10-09-2005 08:45 PM

Well the aftermarket CDI is only $105 shipped as opposed to the OEM replacment which is near $300. plus the aftermarket one allegedly gives you another 1000 rpm. I throw the charger on it and see what happens.

any more input would be greatly appreciated. thanks to everyone so far. I want to get this thing running before this weekend, i'm dying to get out on the trails.

Steve

trioxide 10-09-2005 09:09 PM

charger says battery is fully charged, but i left it to charge overnight anyways.

basically, do you guys think the new CDI will fix my problem? if not what else might it be.