Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Rhino owners still ride ATV's? Why choose an ATV over a Rhino?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who would rather ride an ATV rather than a Rhino?

I rode in a Rhino recently. I didn't get to drive it. We went all over. Hills, etc. It was amazing. I now have Rhino fever after loving quads for 15 years.

I would like to have feedback from Rhino owners as to whether they still ride quads or not, etc.

Also are there Rhino owners who still find reasons or situations where you rather use or would like to use an ATV.

Any other comments are welcome.

Have a nice day.

Old 11-03-2005, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rhino owners still ride ATV's? Why choose an ATV over a Rhino?

A big factor for me is a Rhino is classified as an off road vehicle (OHV) not an ATV. This classification will disallow the Rhino from many riding areas.

Old 11-04-2005, 01:19 AM
Pro Rider

Jeff,
After owning about twenty different ATVs I now have a Rhino, and I do not see one thing a utility ATV has to offer over a Rhino. If you want to go slow and crawl through technically difficult terrain it is every bit as much fun with a Rhino as it is with a utility ATV, and you also get to have someone ride with you if you want. And they are sitting beside you so you can talk to them, instead of behind you. There are places a well equipped utility ATV can go that a Rhino cannot, but there are also places a Rhino can go that a utility ATV cannot (such as vertical rock ledges). And the Rhino rides smoother and is more stable. The ATV trail systems in our state have very narrow gates with little cattle gaurd things on them, so vehicles larger than at ATV cannot go on the trails. A Rhino fits through the gates, ... barely.

If speed is your thing, then I can definitely see advantages of a sport quad over a Rhino. But I don't see any speed advantages of a utility quad over a Rhino. If speed is important, don't buy a utility quad or a Rhino.

You need a Rhino though, I can just tell [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img].

DV

Old 11-04-2005, 02:25 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Legal for most trail systems.
More capable off road and through thick/deep stuff.

We used to own a mule, lots of fun but not as good as a powerful utility quad for personal riding.

Old 11-04-2005, 06:55 AM
Pro Rider

Just my opinion, but I would rather ride than drive. It's just personnal preferance.

Old 11-04-2005, 06:58 AM
Pro Rider

How about bailability. Some of the hills I go up are pretty steep and loose. If something happened and I was about to lose the quad I could always bail off. Sitting inside a UTV could be a death trap. I know, stay within the limitations of the vehicle, but that's the point. The limits are higher on an ATV than a UTV.

Old 11-11-2005, 11:12 PM
Trailblazer

I just bought a rhino. I choose to change over because of the utility of it. Also I am not a big fan of letting my family members that don't ride or haven't riddin much to ride my ATVs. This is a safer option. It really rider preference. The option to bail? You would be risking a lot, just like a dune buggy you should rely on the roll cage. Plus it has a seat belt. If you are doing some really outrageous climbs I reccomend a 4 point harnes and arm restraints that prevent you from puting your arms outside the rhino, they make them for dune buggies. Oh one last thing you can pack everything and the kitchen sink in it.

Old 11-11-2005, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

Jeff, you really do have the bug....

Anyways, I would love to have one also...but I wouldn't give up my ATV. The reason being is that i can go in tighter places, use my lean to get it through tough terrain, not have to try to get out if it rolls as I can jump off of my ATV....as you know I did this summer....and I'd rather dig an ATV out of the mud anyday instead of a Rhino....

but, I would still love to have one for just cruising around for hunting season and if I owned one (one of these days I will), i'll spend the bucks to put a full cab on it and a cab heater, that way I can cruise around any day of the year.....

so my advice, sell your ATV, buy a Rhino and then let me know if it was worth while....I'll still have my ATV, but I wouldn't mind having a Rhino or Ranger...