ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   tomorrow i will race a 2006 yfz stock (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/225874-tomorrow-i-will-race-2006-yfz-stock.html)

135boom 12-28-2005 06:46 PM

tomorrow i will race a 2006 yfz stock

Originally posted by: RDZ350
What was you racing on:asphalt,gravel,sand,etc...?Just because you make more power than someone,doesn't mean you can beat them.That was a difficult for me to learn.Having the bike setup for where you are racing makes a HUGE difference(tires,gearing,etc...).

......Totally. A shee needs to make more horse due to NO traction, and extra weight. It can definately be done though.

RDZ350 12-28-2005 07:23 PM

I think traction is a term alot of banshee guys have to learn(including me).I've been beat by some 4-strokes that I was making more power than at the motor.It's not how much power you make but how much you can get to the ground and get to hook up.I mean,we're talking about a beast that is calm and meek one minute and then suddenly doing all it can to run out from underneath ya.I think that's why 4-stroke guys are afraid of them.LOL!!Please no hate mail.Just kidding.

I'd like to see some pictures of the 2 quads that was in the race.

135boom 12-28-2005 07:43 PM

no.....I agree with you. I had a banshee too. It made awesome horsepower numbers, but I could never get those numbers to equate to much, unless the race was while we where already moving!!! Then watch out!

RDZ350 12-28-2005 08:24 PM

I'm glad we agree on something.LOL!
Seems like you've done alot to your YFZ.How you like it?Beat many banshees with it?How do you do with the new YFZ's?

135boom 12-28-2005 08:34 PM

Well, I havnt raced or ridden with a 06 yfz, with my state of mods. I am sure that if you do the exact things I have done, on the 06 model, I will get beat. It should produce more torque and more horse. It would only make sence.
The banshee's that I have ridden with have got beat, and keep getting beat. Then there is my cousins shee, that is very modded, putting out just shy of 70 horse, and he is keeping up with me. I dont know what the results of a race would be between the two of us, while we are already under way, but I know from a stop, I get him. It all comes down to traction. He's making a good 10-15 more horse, but I am getting most of mine to the ground......he isnt!
By the way, his shee was my shee. It is fast, and when I rode it I could spank a lot of worked raptors, at the time.
If he could just get traction, he would slotter me every time......but its never going to happen, as the power band hit of that thing is fricken insane!
We have equal topspeeds....we found that out a few months ago on a long straight stretch of gravel. I am geared up one tooth up front.....making my theoretical top speed, with my higher reving gytr box 89 mph. I used the gearing calculator over at everything2stroke. Not bad for a mx quad, and an ol' banshee! TOO FAST!

135boom 12-28-2005 08:41 PM

and yes, while in 5th gear, WOT, with no wheel spin and 20 inch tires, I am bouncing off that rev limiter at 11,250rpm for quite a long time, which does mean that I am able to use up all my gearing potential and hit the topspeed of 89mph. WIND, WEIGHT and all other variables DO NOT matter at that point. Those would only come into play if I wasnt hitting the rev limiter. Those would only be reasons.
A lot of people get confused on that.

.............Now I am way off topic!

RDZ350 12-29-2005 12:24 AM

This leason was very frustrating to me.There's a track in TN. that we go to,and I get smoked nearly every time I go.Sometimes you have to do a little homework and ask questions to learn what works at a track and just because it works at one doesn't mean it will at others.
An over-ride transmission is extremely important for us drag racers.Especially in the 300 ft. tracks.The next time I go the plan is to be producing around 90-95 hp.,over-ride,and trying to lose about 30 lbs. off the bike.Mid 4's should be possible.Trying to be realistic.

135boom 12-29-2005 03:43 PM

thats a hell of a lot of horse power, geez. Remind me not to race you! THat is one thing that I miss about the banshee, because for ad-ons, the sky is the limit. The thing I was running into though, was there was so much horse, that I was breaking something almost every damn ride!!!
Sounds like you have one sick banshee though. Godd luck at the races, not that you need much!

RDZ350 12-29-2005 05:59 PM

Parts is not the problem.Getting the money to buy the parts,well that's a different story.I can't hardly believe how much people are stepping up their quads nearly every where we go.If I could just ride it and be happy,I'd have more money.Just hate the taste of sand.LOL!

135boom 12-30-2005 05:54 PM

ha ha. I hear ya