Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Dirtbikes love 'em or hate em"

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 12:37 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dirtbikes love 'em or hate em"

Well, I'm 16 and just sold my KX250, 2 stroke. I liked the power and i could climb hills all day long and hit the biggest jumps, it was fun, but very difficult to ride. I had it piped, jetted, and wiseco pistons and stuff like that and i had the power, but alot of the time, it wouldn't get to the ground, it'd just spin. I also thot my bike was very challenging to ride, but i was good, and am the best rider in my hometown. I sold it tho, cuz i didn't like it, i was always scaring myself, or well, it was a fun scary feeling, lol. I bought a '03 banshee now, and luv it. It's way easier to ride and i still have the power to climb the hills and stuff. It's got K&N filter, wiseco pistons, carbs gone through, fmf pipes, and some other stuff to make it scary fast. I haven't been beaten yet by a bike or quad for that matter. But then again, i live in small community and the fastest bike we have around here was the one i sold. I think it is alot faster than my banshee but the kid that bought it from me isn't all that experienced, so the rider here has alot to do with it.
I'd have to say, GOTTA LOVE 'EM BOTH, lol.

Old 02-07-2006, 12:46 AM
Range Rover

isnt that the point!!?? if the bike doesnt scare you from time to time it get boring....i think. Banshees are great machines. As for myself i think you took a step up going from Kawasaki to Yamaha. From what ive read the the Yamaha bikes make more power than the kawasakis. The KXs are actually the weakest stock and mod for mod.

Old 02-07-2006, 06:26 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: HondaSlayer
I guess you havent seen to many hillclimb bikes have you?[/quote]
LOL. I sure have. I have owned and still own a few dirtbikes.
I was riding and racing dirtbikes long befor quads ever got popular.

Old 02-07-2006, 08:37 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally posted by: trialsrider172
depends what ur looking for...if ur an older guy, stick to the quads, but if ur like, under 40, defonatly get the bike...
Going to be pretty embarrassing to get smoked by someone and find out they have gray hair and a receading hairline. I know a few 40+ that can still run circles around a lot of younger guys. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-07-2006, 08:43 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Age has absolutely nothing to do with it. Im going to be 46 in a couple of days and cant imagine riding a quad. Dirt bikes for me.

Old 02-07-2006, 08:46 AM
RIP Dear Friend

Originally posted by: trialsrider172
depends what ur looking for...if ur an older guy, stick to the quads, but if ur like, under 40,

LOL[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

You will not pry my dirtbike from my old crippled hands. Older guys over 40 just say yes to dirt bikes.

Old 02-07-2006, 08:52 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally posted by: Raptoryfn660r

You will not pry my dirtbike from my old crippled hands. Older guys over 40 just say yes to dirt bikes.
And if they try to, we can hit them with our canes!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-07-2006, 09:15 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HondaSlayer, it really depends on what you want. Dirtbikes are faster and nimbler, they will go more places and a YZ250 will be challenging if you do not have experience on them. BUt they are not for eveybody. I recomend buying what your buddies have, if they ride quads, buy a quad, and same goes for the dirtbike.

Or just buy them both and you won't have to worry about it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] To bad it's not that easy right?

Old 02-07-2006, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider

motox has the ticket, get both and you can use each for waht you want to do. I love my raptor for desert racing and horse'n around and just about everything else. But when I need some hold on for dear life speed I bust out the beast (84 Yamaha TT600) and crack the throttle wide open. Or if there is a hill that has been kicking my tail on the rappy I will take the beast out and rip it a new one a few times so I feel better, and find the best line for the rappy to take. IMHO bikes are eaiser to ride and a less likely to hurt you when you crash, which is a common occurence due to balance at slow speeds and in sand. Quads are harder to control at high speeds and when you do get out of control they take you for a ride if your lucky and mees you up if your not. Any body I ride with will be happy to jump on my rappy and take it for a spin but if I'm on the beast I cant talk anyone into riding it, evan other bike riders. It's all preception like stated elsewhere in here, quads look easy to ride and feel slower due to their weight but in general top speed is fairly close to bikes but with 400Lbs at 60-80 MPH momentum is not your friend and wont help you make that hard turn or slow down over those braking bumps. All that extra weight to controll will wear you out faster when riding hard, but if you are in tight trails and deep sand or alot of slow speed no run trails a bike will wear you out faster than a quad since you have no resting period like a quad will allow you to do on 4 wheels. You can go and do almost anything on a quad that you can on a bike unless physical size is a factor like fit between to close space trees. So get both and have fun.