Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

my first day with my new grizzly

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 08:28 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my first day with my new grizzly

Originally posted by: grizz660mtl
i dunno if my machine is a lemon but it doesent go past 50mph ?
th edealer is on the way to pick it up i was riding this morning and it keeps shutting off at idle.
I rode a friend's Grizz, and it topped out at around 62 on a long gravel road. (Lots of room)

Did it shut off when cold or hot? Was the choke on?

Old 02-25-2006, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

don't put synthetic oil in your engine its not good for small engines

Old 02-26-2006, 10:47 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: DavidLT250S
don't put synthetic oil in your engine its not good for small engines
Why?

Old 02-26-2006, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

i am not 100% sure but my dad said its because you got to change the oil alot and its going to cost alot, also because it doesnt break down as fast as normal oil because its not as many moving parts like in a car so the engine doesnt get lubricated enough, I'd double check with the dealer ship or use Yamalube

Old 02-27-2006, 01:33 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: DavidLT250S
i am not 100% sure but my dad said its because you got to change the oil alot and its going to cost alot, also because it doesnt break down as fast as normal oil because its not as many moving parts like in a car so the engine doesnt get lubricated enough, I'd double check with the dealer ship or use Yamalube
Not to sound like a know it all, because I certainly don't.......Synthetic oils don't breakdown (wear out) as fast as petroleum oils do. This allows them to be run longer between oil changes.....Or can insure that the oil does not break down sooner that you expect it to. Race teams use alot of synthetic oil because the engines are run hard, and failure of an engine loses races. But, two bits of advice....Never break in a freshly rebuilt or new engine on synthetic oil because during break in you want the parts to wear slightly to fit each other, such as the rings to the cylinder. Synthetic oils slow the break in process too much. After Break in, synthetic oil is fine. And, always use oil (no matter which kind) for motorcycles and ATV's when putting it in motorcycles and ATV's. Car oil has slick additives that can allow the clutches to slip under load when used with a wet clutch such as a motorcycle or ATV. The slippage causes excessive wear.
BTW, I had a good teacher, that was a manager of an Arenacross race team that supported 7-10 riders per season.

Old 02-27-2006, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider

yeh but see the problem with that is if there is dirt in the engine and you only change it once a year because you are running synthetic its going to sqrew everything to **** i say change it atleaste 3 times a year it would probably be cheaper then running synthetic doesnt matter how much you ride and you should be fine but thats just my opinion.

Old 02-27-2006, 01:48 PM
Range Rover

if you use your winch to pull anything is suggest you throw a jacket or something over the cable. this way if it was to snap it wont come flying at you or anyone else.

Old 02-27-2006, 01:55 PM
Range Rover

I use the synthetic for the added wear protection, but change it at the same intervals as regular oil. Costs a bit more, but doing a top end is't cheap either.

Sorry to go off topic here......

Back to the Grizz topic to help this guy out.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 02-27-2006, 09:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

dealer made a few adjustments hit 102 kilometers an hour
it was cutting off cuz i sucked in too much snow. the dealer told me to bring him a nylon stocking so i did he put it over the intake he said it'll help out but that i should stay of the lake when it's really powdery snow
i'll put synthetic at 1000k and change it at regular intervals if had wanted to save money i would have bought a pair of hiking shoes. i added a 4 year advantage plus warranty covers everything my mechanic couldnt even believe what it covered.cost 1500 canadian but should be well worth it.also got my insurance guy to insure me for full replacement value for five years .

Old 02-28-2006, 03:18 AM
Range Rover

You made many wise choices there. Have fun with the Grizz, as I'm sure you will![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: my first day with my new grizzly