ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   Blaster oil pump question (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/233101-blaster-oil-pump-question.html)

TwinCam95 03-08-2006 10:36 AM

Blaster oil pump question

Has anyone actually had one of these fail on them? It seems everyone "knows a guy" who it happened to, but I've never talked to someone who has experienced this first hand. Most people bypass the pump just because there's all these horror stories of blowing motors up, but according to two dealers I asked, they haven't had many problems with the automatic oilers.

My other post describes how I blew my motor up if you're interested, I'm trying to figure out the cause.

okbeast 03-08-2006 12:45 PM

In my opinion if you know of something that could fail and cause the engine to seize up why would you take the risk?

TwinCam95 03-08-2006 03:30 PM

Yamaha doesn't seem to think that their autolube system has potential to "fail and cause the engine to seize up", they've been using it on every Blaster they have manufactured for the last 19 years.

I'd still like to hear someone's first-hand experience with one of these going bad.

whaleedited 03-08-2006 06:55 PM

Then leave it on and see how long it lasts.

Atvstevo1337 03-08-2006 07:41 PM

I have, my oil pump failed and caused my engine to have to be completely redone, so my solution. get rid of it asap. dont take the chance and just mix the gas!

TwinCam95 03-08-2006 09:40 PM

Atvstevo,
What did it do when it died on you? When you had your motor rebuilt, did they show you, or at least describe to you what the piston looked like?

When I bought my quad I was told it had a new top end, and it siezed on my second ride during WOT in sixth, the piston was indeed new, and it had several deep wear scars around it. What I am trying to determine is if it was due to lack of lubrication, or if it was because I didn't break it in (it looks like it literally had less than an hour on it).
Thanks for answering.

Atvstevo1337 03-08-2006 10:02 PM

It dident seize completely right away more of a slow dieing for 10 minutes as less and less oil was present until it was completely seized, in my case it was from lack of oil, and my piston also had deep wear scars.

TwinCam95 03-09-2006 12:46 AM

Interesting. Yeah mine went without warning, just locked up the wheels all of the sudden. I'm starting to think the piston just wasn't ready to be whooped on that hard. Especially if you're saying it took yours a while when your oiler went.

recon99 03-09-2006 01:02 AM

Maybe you were jetted too lean and something melted, causing it to seize, but I don't think it would have seized just because it wasn't broken in.

TwinCam95 03-09-2006 01:14 AM

the color of the plug I took out was tan, like the plug on a four stroke is supposed to be. I did think that was a little lean for a 2 stroke though. The one I put in after that one was black though, but maybe thats because it was burning crankcase oil vapors since it was after it sized up (I managed to start it back up a while later).