Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Tried buying the Wife a new Raptor 700 yesterday. . . guess how much the dealer wanted?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 01:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tried buying the Wife a new Raptor 700 yesterday. . . guess how much the dealer wanted?!

Went with the Wife down to the dealer and she decided she liked the Limited Edition Yellow one. Guess they are $250 MSRP more than the standard.

So, we go sit down to do the negoiation. . . I tell him I'm looking to pay $7250 O.T.D. he starts in with the how you gonna buy it (I tell him whatever way makes it less expensive) then the "Are you ready to buy it today if the deal is right" (sure, I don't need it though so, if the deal isn't right I'm not in NEED.)

Anyways, guess what he comes back with. . .

Over $8,800!!!

Dude wasn't even in the ball-park!

PCP Motorsports in Sacramento is the dealer in case anyone local is wondering.

I've heard that about these guys. I guess their mentality is they get an allotment of bikes and they need to maximize profit on each one. . . if I don't buy one, someone else will so. . . they'll still sell all their bikes, they don't need to deal.

Guess that's their business. . . no reason to get upset about it. I've heard of dealers 20 minutes away selling them for $7200 O.T.D. for the regular version so, I can't see spending more than $7,450 for the L.E. that the Wife Wants.

So, this is what we have to deal with in CA. (Keep in mind these prices include 7.75% sales tax, freight, set-up, doc fees, etc. - this is O.T.D.)

I'm sure others can pay a lot less O.T.D. but, some don't have to pay sales tax, etc. - Just trying to get an idea if I'm in the right ball-park on pricing or if people are really spending that much.

Old 05-21-2006, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tried buying the Wife a new Raptor 700 yesterday. . . guess how much the dealer wanted?!

That sounds really high to me.

Old 05-21-2006, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider

Probally higher in Cali but I paid $6300 OTD at dealer, then we pay the tax elsewere which was like$400. So $6700 OTD tax included. Set-up fees, doc fees all that is a rip worst case scenario for me would be MSRP +tax no matter were I was.

Old 05-21-2006, 04:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Couldn't agree more. . . Worst case would be MSRP + tax.

So, on a standard unit that's what. . $6999? Tax would about 7k X 8% (rounding up) = $560.

So, $7,560 should be the most these guys look for. I think they are adding about $300 for freight and $450 for set-up. . . heck, it still doesn't add up. Don't know how they come up with their price. I didn't really care to spend any more time on it since I knew they were obviously not looking to deal. I've heard that from a number of people about this dealership but, it is closest to home so, I thought I would give them a shot.

Old 05-21-2006, 05:06 PM
Trailblazer

holy h*ll i thought mine was high thats just rediculous i paid like 7900 almost 8 for mine

Old 05-21-2006, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

I talked to a sales manager at one of our dealerships. He has worked there almost 20yrs.. This dealership is out of the way for most people in our area. They sell the big four. I asked him why don't you guys charge freight and set up??? He said freight is already figured into the MSRP and we get reimbursed 75 bucks for each machine we set up from the manufacturer.. I said Okay then why do other dealers charge for these items??? He said because they can and if you'll pay it that's more money for them.. My bro Buddah bought a 700r the first day they came out as he started the list. He got it for just under 7500 w/ 6.6 sales tax.. This was back in July..

Old 05-22-2006, 12:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

That sounds much more reasonable.

Our sales tax rate is 7.75% but, an extra % sales tax is only about $75 so, that isn't going to make much of a difference.

I've heard the same thing on the freight and set-up. Dealers around here complain it isn't enough. I understand they may bill out at about $75/hr as a shop rate but, everyone knows your labor pay for manufacturer work isn't as much as it is for customer work. They can make a lot of money on parts and service after you sell the bikes is where there is good money to make.

Trending Topics

Old 05-22-2006, 12:20 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: DuneMe
That sounds much more reasonable.

Our sales tax rate is 7.75% but, an extra % sales tax is only about $75 so, that isn't going to make much of a difference.

I've heard the same thing on the freight and set-up. Dealers around here complain it isn't enough. I understand they may bill out at about $75/hr as a shop rate but, everyone knows your labor pay for manufacturer work isn't as much as it is for customer work. They can make a lot of money on parts and service after you sell the bikes is where there is good money to make.
I paid $6400 ea for two 700r's. I felt that was a good deal. My dealer dosn't stock any after market stuff. They got me for a brain bucket but that was all. I buy almost exclusivly from Rockymountainatv. They have all but the most extreme mods I seek. I'm still waiting for Ron woods racing to make my exhaust set up. I can get K&N intake mod and there is a trinity racing ECU available. I do want the mod ECU a member here is working on, but its not commercially available as yet I guess

Old 05-22-2006, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

Dealers have 10.00hr kids set up bikes so at two hrs max for an incompetent kid the dealer is still making money.. Mechanics wrench on motors, carb and electrical systems, not set up bikes..

Old 05-22-2006, 12:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Here in NM, they charge vehicle tax, which is 3%. They charge anywhere from $300-$500 in set-up, and they also charge another $150 in title paperwork. The set up fees that some of these dealers are charging are rediculous!!!

Quick Reply: Tried buying the Wife a new Raptor 700 yesterday. . . guess how much the dealer wanted?!