Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Advice on Raptor Purchase needed...

Old 11-22-2000, 11:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howdy all

I have a rather....insane proposition and I require some advice...here goes..

Im 16 years old, and I want a Raptor...I want a Raptor BAD...As luck would have it, my dad bought me a Brandnew 2001 LT Ext.Cab Z71 Silverado, and im thinking of selling it to have enough cash to buy a Raptor, and a Toyota Tacoma, Please forgo any "rich" jokes, Because thats not the case, just unique circumstances...Anways, No he won't just buy me a raptor too because he thinks that it is a "death trap" and "top speed of 75mph? are you crazy?" But he said he will allow me to sell the truck and buy it if I really want it that bad...(I plan on selling the truck for $27,500 if anyone is intrested email me, no dents or dings, great shape, never abused in any sort of way)

Anyways, The Truck has 4500 Miles on it and I love it, but I want a raptor, and everything I read seems to make me want one more...I have only owned two quads in my life, a 220 Kawasaki bayou and a 300 Kawasaki bayou, however they were not auto's, just didn't have a clutch, but they were manual, I don't know what you call that...Manumatic perhaps? They were fun as heck, and over a 5 year period, I completely destroyed both of them (one caught on fire, in the woods, gas leak, exploded, blew engine block in half, the 220) and the other fell off a 78 foot drop, and hit solid granite at the bottem...(the 300)

But they were both extremely fun, and I haven't had as much fun since then (besides my Yamaha 1200 Waverunner, if you don't own one, buy one, its worth its weight in gold)..

Also, for some odd reason my dad refuses to let me void the warrenty on anything over $1000, so that means no hopeups I suppose...thats why I want a Raptor, because I hear it's good as stock..

So my question for all of you is this, is a Raptor worth selling a awesome Z71 Chevy? I would buy a Raptor, and buy a 4 door Toyota Tacoma, those look cool too...Also, How hard is it to "learn" a clutch? Is the Raptor forgiving to stupid 16 year old kids who have never driven one before?

-Btw, if anyone lives in tennessee (prefer middle TN) please contact me at [email protected], Would love to go riding after I get a 4wheeler of some kind...-

Old 11-22-2000, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

YES!!

2001 Raptor Blue

Old 11-22-2000, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

Are you stupid???
You would trade a brand new pickup to get a Craptor??
I'm probably stupid too (although I wouldn't go for the Raptor, but the quad I alredy have)...here's my advice...GO FOR IT.
Watch out for availability. Some have to wait next year...and there's one with ProTaper handlebar, holeshots, skidplates and graphic kit fo sale in "my" dealer (9000$can).
Watch out also for your dad's reaction...and your riding.

Old 11-22-2000, 11:58 PM
Trailblazer

NO dont sell your truck.
For one it is hard to get your Raptor around without a truck
2 it is alot easier to try and save $7000.00 than it is to try and save $27000.00. and with the availabilty of the Raptor you might want to start saving now and by the time the Raptors are available you wil at least have enough to put down a good size down payment and since you dont have a truck loan you could always take out a loan. just my opinion!!!!

ex400ex

Old 11-23-2000, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

Ditch the 27 thousand dollar truck and buy a 98 or 99 full size dodge for around 18 thousand and youll have enough for the Raptor a nice truck and a few more mods for the Raptor.!!!Do it the Raptors one awsome machine.You will love it and youll get used to it very fast.Id do it if i were you

Old 11-23-2000, 01:37 AM
Trailblazer

You could evn sell the truck buy a 98 z71 an get a raptor but with your luck with quads you should buy a 400ex. I would much rather see one of them on the bottom of a 80 foot drop destroyed than a raptor. this is to Zorro try to support you fellow Yamaha rides and bikes. Your banshee is a good bike but it to has problems even after 13 years. Its all on how the bike is taken care of. Love them an they will last forever.

2001Raptor blue

Old 11-23-2000, 02:41 AM
Range Rover

you'll lose TOO BAD on the truck!
myself I have both

2000 silverado extended cab Z71
lund sunvisor
steel 3" cowl induction hood
gibson dual out catback
cranked up front torsion bars (2" of lift)
changed to bigger tires cooper 285/75/16's
front brushguard with chrome kc daylighters

I traded in a modded to death 99 camaro ss on the truck bwaaaaaaaaaaaaa..... sob sob low 12's in th 1'4 mile!

2001 raptor
pro tapers
brake block off plate
cr 250 perch and lever
holeshot xc fronts
razor rears
prm full chassis skid
works triple rate fronts with resoviors
front and rear black beadlocks (DUAL lock rears!)
curtis sparks pipe anxiously awaiting and airbox
and filter
also soon,
prm summit front bumper, swingarm skid and baja grab bar
I dream about mods! haha

Keep the truck and get a job to get a raptor they'll be making them next year...

stay away from fire and cliffs then or get full coverage. hehe

FORGET EVEN THINKING ABOUT GETTING A DODGE EVERYONE HAS ONE!!!

Old 11-23-2000, 07:53 AM
Trailblazer

Dont listen to the others above me. Sell the truck
and buy the Raptor, take the rest of the money and invest it! In no time you will have the money back. Im sure your father is a wise investor as to have that
kind of money to purchase a nice truck like that
for you. My father told me this same thing 20 years ago. So I busted *** and inevested everything I had. Now retired at age of 34 and live very well. Good luck in decision.

Old 11-23-2000, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

Everyone who tells you to sell the truck is stupid don't listen to them I would kill to have that truck!! Get a job,keep the truck,get a loan then you can have both. Well thats what I would do.

Old 11-23-2000, 12:08 PM
Range Rover

ya sell the truck, invest the money, lose it and have NOTHING! NOT!!!! although thats a better suggestion than buying a dodge!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice on Raptor Purchase needed...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: