ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   Newbie Question Kodiak won't start help (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/243298-newbie-question-kodiak-wont-start-help.html)

uij 06-29-2006 10:31 AM

Newbie Question Kodiak won't start help

Hi All,

As stated above "Newbie here" I did a search but couldn't find anything close to my problem. I have a '00 Kodiak and it won't start on the electric starter, it just clicks. It will start just fine on the pull start. I charged the battery and tested it, in and out of the bike the meter says 12.73 volts
Its not a beat machine but these little "gremlins" are driving me nuts - too many to list.
Any help would be appriecated

TIA

squeege 06-29-2006 10:51 AM

loose terminals?

uij 06-29-2006 10:56 AM

I thought of that "Squeege" there are as tight as possible.
Tight to the point here a little more Im afraid of stripin' the screw or the soft lead.

I appreicate the input. I was reading a little more and I see that a charged battery should be around 14v?? But the charged battery reads 12.73v?

keist08 06-29-2006 11:10 AM

well most batterys are 12 volts correct?

uij 06-29-2006 11:25 AM

Yeah, the battery is a 12v.

9 outta 10 times its something stupid or something expensive.

I thought I checked all the "stupid" though.

But thanks,

squeege 06-29-2006 11:30 AM

If you can find the starter solenoid you could put 12v across the two terminals to jump start but it would have to be in park with the key on to start it...... but better yet you should get 12v on both terminals when you try to start it and get the click..... if it doesn't apply 12v to the starter side but gets 12v to the battery side terminal then guess what's bad?

uij 06-29-2006 11:56 AM

Hey Squeeg.... i'm a newbie here.
What does that mean is bad?
My guess.... starter. Whats the click?

On a car when the starter goes bad there ain't no "clickin"

squeege 06-29-2006 12:07 PM

the solenoid would be bad...cause that is what supplies the power to the starter.......to test the starter you could put 12v directly from the battery to the starter wire (red) postitive wire or terminal....(bypassing the solenoid,)....but if the starter works it will turn no matter if the key is on or not using this method....

The starter only needs a black ground and red postive to turn all the rest of the wires can be bypassed....that will tell you if the starter is good

hondabuster 06-29-2006 01:36 PM

Usually the clicking sound means you have a bad ground or the battery is dying.
Have the battery load tested. The 12 volts you checked was the static charge, and even bad batteries have 12 volts. The important number, is the volts when a load is applied. You can do a load test yourself. Leave the volt meter hooked up, and when you hit the starter button, check to see what volts it drops to. If its under 10 volts, the battery is probably bad.
Make sure the battery cables and battery terminals are shiney and clean, and then tight. The oxidized layer, has alot of resistance and can cause these symptoms too.
Most every auto parts store. like napa and autozone will load test your battery for free.

uij 06-29-2006 03:05 PM

Thanks Squeege and Hondabuster, all really good suggestions. Gut feeling is telling me the battery. I don't know why. Its getting toward the end of its span and the bike isn't rode often.
I never knew of the "load test" it might be just that weak of a battery to be giving me these problems. Even though I'm getting 12v on the terminals.

Thanks again.