Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Ontario ATV's riding the roads????

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2000, 04:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear partners in crime,

If you are like me, you at one point have driven on public roads to get were you are going, hoping not to be caught.
I have just learned of a new piece of legeslation that may help us.
It's called BIll 11. From what I understand it will be copying the Snowmobile privleges allowing us ATV'ers to limitied road access, for connecting trails, to gas stations ect.

Has anyone been following this. Any info would be apreciated.
I frequently travel a short stretch of road to get to the start of the trails near my house, it would be nice to know I could do this legally.

1999Kodiak

Old 11-27-2000, 05:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Bill 11 is already in affect! hi I am from the Muskoka area (Huntsville) I run used to run the Seguin trail from Parrysound to Algonquin park every weekend (awsome THE BEST TRAIL IN THE WORLD)
I have a friend who is an opp officer in Burksfalls and he explainded the law around it.You can drive an ATV on UNPAVED (dirt roads only) and you must obey speed laws ,the machine must be plated and insured for off road use.and must have a working headlight and tailight + a proper spark areestor or silencer.
There is still some confusion over the licence part.YOU MUST have a G licence.(g1 or g2 are not legal) the part that is not to clear is the part of the bill, the licencing claimed that an avt is a motorcycle and there for operators must also have a valid m licence as well.my friend said that they do not care as long as you have one or the other.If you are caught on a paved road you will be fined for no insurance (even if its insured for offroad) minimum $5000 fine!

Old 11-27-2000, 10:36 PM
Trailblazer

Geez u guys are lucky B.C. has nothing like that. It would be so handy for where I live. I guess it is just another reason to be bitter for living in BC under the provincial NDP government.

Old 11-27-2000, 10:37 PM
Trailblazer

Geez u guys are lucky B.C. has nothing like that. It would be so handy for where I live. I guess it is just another reason to be bitter for living in BC under the provincial NDP government.

Old 11-29-2000, 09:25 PM
Trailblazer

Now that is cool!!!..

I am from Southern Ontario near the falls and we have some cool trails down here too!!.

Lots of dirt roads and here I was always paranoid about riding on them!!.

Hey blaster10.... I have heard about some of those trails up in cottage country and actually I have driven on the OFSC trails in the winter.

I would love to try them with my Wolv.
Give me a shout and point me in the right direction... I would love a ride up their sometime!.

Boom

Old 11-30-2000, 10:12 PM
Range Rover

I recently went to the police department here in N.B, and got a copy of the rules regarding ATV use. Without getting into too much detail, here is what some of the rules are. "no person shall operate an ATV within 7.5 metres of travelled portion of roadway." " Person 14 years or older may operate ATV." .... must wear a helmet, must have license plate, must have proper muffler, blah, blah, blah. Personally I think it's a crock of s**t. If you ride an ATV almost anywhere, eventually you have to at least cross a road. They're basicly forcing us to break the law. I think the law need some serious amending.

Old 12-01-2000, 02:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey boom,

i am also from the niagra penninsula. Just wondering where these places are that you went riding. Slime hills and that other one.

Are they local. Would like to find out.
thanks

Old 12-01-2000, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider

We are alowed to cross any public road or highway in New Brunswick at a 90 degree angle, that's straight across. That goes for 4 lane highways as well I believe.

Old 12-02-2000, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

There is a town up here called Wawa and your alowed to ride to motels and gas station the same as Snowmobile clubs members are. It improved there tourism because the snowmobile season lasts only a few months while Atv can use these tail until the trail groomer come out for the winter season. Lots of Americans from Michigan go up there to use the trail,there right in the ATV sport big time.

Old 12-06-2000, 12:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

HOLD ON A MINUTE GUYS!!! Bill 11 has been passed but various sections of it have not been proclaimed into law and the section that deals with ATV's is one of them!! Also the information that it will be legal to ride on only dirt roads is not entirely true! The bill when and if it is passed will allow local governments (towns, municipalities, regions etc.) decide whether or not ATV's well be able to use roads,dirt or otherwise. I suggest you educate yourself on the content of this legislation because if you want to take advantage of it you will have to convince your local politicians that it will be a "good" thing for your particular area! You can read the bill at the following link! http://www.ontla.on.ca/Documents/Sta...T/b011ra_e.htm the changes to the off road vehicle act are found at the very bottom of that page!

Quick Reply: Ontario ATV's riding the roads????