Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior Mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 09:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior Mods

Thanks recon 99,

I'll try the Cobra Jet, and run it for a while, since I've already paid for it.

If it sucks, and I notice a power loss, and is too loud, I'll just have to sell it, and go with something better. I'm curious to just at least try something on it other than the stock muffler.

I'll probably keep the K&N and drill the lid. Even if I wind up with something like you have, the lid being drilled out will still be something to do. I seriously doubt that these lids are watertight to begin with, so what would I really be loosing by ventilating it?

I thought that maybe the missing problem I'm having was due to the jet being to large for a stock muffler. I was looking to get more flow. Don't know what is causing this. It misses when you are just a little on the gas like down a grade, when there isn't any pull on the motor. Maybe, it's loading up or something.

It is really bad if I run 87 octane, but not as bad running premium gas?

I bought a new plug to try, but I doubt that will make any difference.

I'll try checking for any leaks in the manifold, or around the carb. I may even clean the carb out.

I think the previous owner just has it a little screwed up, or that he had it jetted for cold weather and a pipe. I see small, fresh, scratch marks were it looks as though he was messing around with the muffler at the clamp area, and the heat shields were not tight as well, so I suspect he had an aftermarket silencer of some type on it, but he chose not to volunteer that info to me at the time of purchase? He just said he had jetted it for more bottom end.

I enjoy messing around with the mechanics, but to tell you the truth, I saw where a guy near me sold a 2003 Z-400 on ebay for $2500 right after I bought this Warrior!

I could have kicked myself in the butt real hard on that deal! I paid top dollar for the Warrior. It is in fantastic condition. You could eat of it, when I picked it up. It didn't even have any wear or scratches on the factor "heel guards"!

The only places the paint was even worn were on the side of the gear lever, and the bottoms of the A-arms! The bumper on the front had only one slight streak on it!

Not a single ding on any of the rims, etc. Perfect, shiney plastic all around. No corrosion, or dirt in the engine, just a next to new condition Warrior. Garage kept, and ridden in the snow occasionally, and used to ride around in the pits at a race track occasionally.

I paid $2,200 for it, and picked it up 160 miles away, so I didn't think it was too bad of a deal, until I saw that 2003 Z sell for $2500! Full skid armor all the way around even!

What a deal it looked like to me!

Oh well.

Maybe someday.

1982 Yamaha XT 250 (Like the one Rambo steals, and runs from the Sherrif in Rambo - First Blood (Sold in 1989!)
2000 Yamaha Warrior 350 (Jetted, Holeshot Rears)
2001 Honda Recon 250 (All stock)
2006 SUNL 110cc (Chinese - Honda clone engine) Not a bad little bike for the 7-year old nephew after you tighten all the bolts on it from the little Chineese women assembling it.
Mods - 11t front sprocket

Old 07-22-2006, 10:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Warrior Mods

Don't kick yourself in the @ss too much about paying too much dude, I paid about $3,000 for my warrior, completely stock, and not nearly in as good of shape as it is now. In the first year and a half I paid about $1500 for repairs because it was completely beat up, so your deal isn't looking that bad to me. Haha, all the money I have invested in mine i'm damn near the cost of a new z400 or used rappy 700! I don't care though, because I love everything about my warrior, and it'll spank a z400 anyways. Haha, and that's not even including the cost of the new frame it needed 3 months after I bought it. The guy at the local powersports shop is pretty cool and gave me an awesome deal since I bought it from him (no written warranty), and it only cost me $300 for them to put on a brand new frame, otherwise it would have been a $1500 bill!

Old 07-22-2006, 03:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Warrior Mods

So Recon 99, what would I need to spank a Z400 like you?

Will that piston and cam kit, plus an Elderbrock do it? How are spanking them?

Can I port and polish my own head? what does that amount to, basically removing all casting burrs, and polishing the ports or what? Are you running stock valves, or have you done something there also to do this spanking?

Also, do you have one of those CDI rev boxes? Are they a good idea for stock valve springs?

Thanks

1982 Yamaha XT 250 (Like the one Rambo steals, and runs from the Sherrif in Rambo - First Blood (Sold in 1989!)
2006 SUNL 110cc (Chinese - Honda clone engine) Not a bad little bike for the 7-year old nephew after you tighten all the bolts on it from the little Chineese women assembling it.

Old 07-22-2006, 03:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Warrior Mods

P.S.

It's always neat when some old timer like me could show up, and possibly spank some young "punk's" butt with some old school machine against his newer, fancy, comercial machine like a Z!

Anybody can go out and buy speed off the shelf, but it's something of a matter of pride to build it yourself.

Old 07-22-2006, 03:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Warrior Mods

I'd say a GOOD exhaust like an hmf, clamp on filter with the lid removed, edelbrock, and that alba kit should get you running with the 400s.

I wouldn't try porting your own head, it's best to have a shop that's already done a few warrior heads already, so they know how far they can go, and what works best. My shop did a very nice job on mine and only charged me $60 for the 3 hours of labor it required.

Don't waste your money on one of the rev boxes that claim to increase your rev limiter, because warriors don't even have a rev limiter to begin with. The only thing the cheap rev boxes are good for is if your stock one burns up because the stock replacement would be 5x what an aftermarket sells for. The only cdi that really does anything for the warrior is the programmable dynatek, and you gotta get some considerable motor mods on before that really starts being worth the money. The dyna on an aggressive curve would float the valves in a heartbeat without some heavy duty springs.

Old 07-22-2006, 03:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Warrior Mods

Originally posted by: BigKid42
P.S.

It's always neat when some old timer like me could show up, and possibly spank some young "punk's" butt with some old school machine against his newer, fancy, comercial machine like a Z!

Anybody can go out and buy speed off the shelf, but it's something of a matter of pride to build it yourself.
That's my view on it too. I love it when everybody with their new quads think they can spank my "old slow warrior" and then I completely own them and leave them stuttering, trying to come up with excuses like "my tires are bad" or "I shifted bad" or "I got a bad start". Dammit punk, you got beat and you know it! I have more plans then i'll ever have enough money for, and sure I could sell it and get a raptor 700 or yfz that would perform better, but then i'd be like everyone else, and that's not me. Anything other than drag racing is completely dependent on rider skill anyways.

Old 07-22-2006, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default Warrior Mods

Don't kick yourself in the @ss too much about paying too much dude, I paid about $3,000 for my warrior, completely stock,
Yeap thats what i gave for my warrior... Then i dump $6000.00 more into it..Now would someone please kick me in the @ss for that one...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 07-23-2006, 11:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Warrior Mods

Hey Recon,

I just bought a used, but good shape T4/496 silencer. I took your advice, and am trying to cancel the order on that Cobra. If not, I'll sell it new, and not remove it from the packaging. Hopefully, I won't loose too much on it.

I also looked at the HMFs. A new HMF was just as much or in most cases more than this T4. I probably would have just went with the HMF, but the ads were not clear on whether I'd have to purchase any additional mid-pipes, or hardware to install with factory pipe, and most HMF ads I've seen just are for selling the silencer, so I didn't feel like dealing with it all.

I am assuming that a T4 is a good product considering how much they cost new. It's stainless and aluminum construction, and also includes the spark arrestor.

I paid $200 for it, and hope that's a decent price for it. It came off a running Warrior with stock headpipe, so everything is there for me to install it.

I plan on buying the piston/cam kit, and I'd like to buy the Elderbrock as well. I really think I'll be doing it all. It might take me all winter to get it all done, but by spring, I should have it all installed.

That should get me a kick in the pants, I'd think.

By the way, I'm in PA like you, and was wondering if you could give me info on who you got to port and polish your head.

I figure, I might as well do that too, especially if the head is off to do the engine mods.

I also figure that even if I sold my Warrior someday, I will never get what I've got in it, but these mods will still make it worth a little more, I'd think.

another question I have is that I have to drive through water fairly often to get to my trails, and I'm wondering how long my rear carrier bearings are going to last being that the stock carrier has no grease fittings to pump those bearings full and displace water?

I guess they are a sealed type, but that only goes so far, I'd imagine.

Maybe, I'll drill and tap my stock carrier and put a grease fitting in it.

Of course, I can lube the chain, externally.

I find it interesting that Yamaha put grease fittings all over the bike, but didn't put one in the carrier?

Maybe, it's just not even a concern, don't know.

Regards

2000 Yamaha Warrior 350 (K&N, Jetted, T4/496, Holeshot Rears)

Old 07-23-2006, 12:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Warrior Mods

One more thing Recon!

Would the 400 stoker kit Alba sells make more power than the psiton/cam kit? I'm guessing it does.

How tough is it to change out the crank? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, and have done some work in my days.

Their stroker kit does not look like it requires oversized crank bearings, and machining of the case like some others I've seen?

Also, how for can I go before I start to run into probs with the stock clutch, and have to throw money at that as well?

I'd rather not get so carried away that I have replace all the clutch components, especially the pressure plate, springs, and all that. Maybe, some racing type pads (discs) only would do it, don't know. I'll have to look, I guess changing just the pressure plate springs, and going with some racing discs would do it and not cost that much.

2000 Yamaha Warrior 350 (K&N -w- drilled box lid, jetted, T4/496 silencer, Holeshot rears)
2006 SUNL 110cc (11t front sprocket)

Old 07-23-2006, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default Warrior Mods

Originally posted by: DriverDoyle
Don't kick yourself in the @ss too much about paying too much dude, I paid about $3,000 for my warrior, completely stock,
Yeap thats what i gave for my warrior... Then i dump $6000.00 more into it..Now would someone please kick me in the @ss for that one...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
I am selling my Lakota with a reserve of $2700, with a bunch of aftermarket stuff. lol Here it is!

Quick Reply: Warrior Mods