Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Winch Installation Question - Yamaha Kodiak

Old 07-26-2006, 04:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch Installation Question - Yamaha Kodiak

I've got an email into Warn, but thought I'd ask my quesiton here as well. I am installing a Warn 2.5ci on my 2006 Kodiak 400. The instructions say to mount the contactor in a clean dry place as close to the battery as possible. They go onto say that on most ATV's this will be in the rear storage area. But, that in other ATVs it will under the seat. I am thinking under the seat is the best spot on mo Kodiad. However, I'm not the handiest guy when it comes to electrical systems and I'm looking for some assurance before I start drilling holes. Any thoughts or help are appreciated.

Old 07-26-2006, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

The only holes you are going to have to drill is going to be under your seat. Make marks where the holes lign up on the solenoid. The wiring should be easy, pictures etc. It will take you longer to remove plastics to route the wires then drill the 4 holes. On my bruin I had to notch out under my seat so the wires didnt get pinched.
Good luck

Old 07-27-2006, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: west350bruin
The only holes you are going to have to drill is going to be under your seat. Make marks where the holes lign up on the solenoid. The wiring should be easy, pictures etc. It will take you longer to remove plastics to route the wires then drill the 4 holes. On my bruin I had to notch out under my seat so the wires didnt get pinched.
Good luck
Same here notch out under seat for cables.....mount solenoid....run wires and turn on a few nuts....job done

Old 07-27-2006, 12:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the tip on making a notch for the wiring as well. I appreciate the advice fellas as Warn was no help at all. I got the winch on last weekend and plan on doing the wiring this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 07-31-2006, 11:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

ARRGGHHH! Got the contactor holes drilled and installed the rocker swtich and ran the wires back to the contactator before I got bogged down trying to figure out which of the wires from the ignition to splice into for the rocker switch. Then I just ran out of time when the kids woke up from their naps and wife was out running errands. Still need to wire up the winch itself.

This really wouldn't be too bad a job if I'd done it before or could commit enough uninterrupted time.

Old 07-31-2006, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider

I mounted the contactator to high the first try...seat wouldn't latch[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]