ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   Wolvie clunking and noise when starting? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/252891-wolvie-clunking-noise-when-starting.html)

Gus13 11-02-2006 09:02 AM

Wolvie clunking and noise when starting?

I did a search on starters, starting, one way and the only thing I found that may be the problem was the one way. But this was all about the raptor. What may cause clunking, grinding noise in a 350 Wolverine? A friend of mine tried to started and was startled and had a look of wow. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

GlennJ 11-02-2006 11:50 AM

It could be something inside the starter...a bearing. I'd look there before tearing into the engine. The starter is pretty easy remove and pull apart.

Gus13 11-02-2006 12:49 PM

Yeah, I already took out the starter and push the start button to make sure it wasnt that. The starter seemed to spin ok, but nothing real fast or with a lot of torque. I thought it would torque it out of my hand, but no where near that. Maybe the starter is weak causing the starter clutch to not do it's thing right? Maybe it is the starter clutch?

bombrider04 11-02-2006 01:00 PM

well if you are handy and can take the cover off look at the sprag clutch which is the flywheel and magneto and that assembly and see if any gears are chewed off or any other damage also take a look at the clutch side of the engine...you would need a flywheel puller to take apart the sprag...and the bearings could be bad in the starter also so take a look at it and see if you can see any visible damage

GlennJ 11-02-2006 02:40 PM

Pull apart the starter and measure the brushes. The factory service manual gives you the specs. I jut replaced mine over the summer and what a difference! The machine fire up almost the instant I touch the start button.

Gus13 11-02-2006 02:43 PM

Originally posted by: GlennJ
Pull apart the starter and measure the brushes. The factory service manual gives you the specs. I jut replaced mine over the summer and what a difference! The machine fire up almost the instant I touch the start button.
OK, it probably is the stock starter. Were did you get the new brushes? That may be what it is. It does seem like it may not be turning fast enough to throw the clutch out or something.

GlennJ 11-02-2006 02:46 PM

I bought them from Jack's Small engine. However, it may be worth spending the extra money and getting them from the dealer. I don't have a great soldering iron and getting the new brush soldered to the plate that's attached to the bolt (the hooks to the wire that powers the starter) was a PITA. If the set from the dealer comes soldered to that plate, it'll make life easier. The parts guy may not know...you may want to ask a guy in service.

Gus13 11-02-2006 03:17 PM

Thanks. I looked that site up and found they have 3 options- the brushes, brush plate (not sure if it includes brushes), and rebuild kit. I think I will just get the brushes and see what happens. My soldering iron and skills are pretty good.

After you did this does your starter spin with lots of power and speed, like it wants to spin out of your hand?

GlennJ 11-02-2006 03:21 PM

I never tested it in my hand, but it spins the engine over without an issue. The machine fires right up. I don't hardly hear the starter at all.

My brushes went south and the starter just stopped working. Tapping it with the handle end of a screw driver would get it to work sometimes, but the brushes were just too far out of spec.

Check your dealer for the brushes...they may have them in stock. Some times the dealer is the same price as online if you factor in shipping and whatnot.

recon99 11-02-2006 04:27 PM

It's the starter clutch (one-way). You don't hear about it with the Wolvy much, but they have the same starter clutch the warrior and raptor 350 have been using since 1987, and they're know to go out. When they start to get bad, they get free play and don't work smoothly, that's what causes that clunk clunk clunk sound when you start it, and then usually another clunk from the bottom end when you shut the engine off or it stalls. My warrior is a 2001, and I had to get mine replaced last year. The parts will cost you about $200 if you can do the repair yourself. You will need the one way assembly and the gear the one-way mates with. If you try to save money and just replace the one-way, that pitted up gear will tear up your new one-way real quick, and you're out of another 200 bucks.