Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

grizzly won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 09:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grizzly won't turn over

My brother has an 05 grizzly 660 with 13 hours on it. The last time he ran it was last june everything was fine when he parked it. Here is where it gets interesting he tried to start it last night for the first time since early june and the starter would just kind of click and never really engage and try to turn the engine over. The battery is up just fine and the pullstart is real hard to pull so I had him pull the spark plug and pull it over then thinking maybe he had gotten it fuel locked or something. Well it pulls fine with the plug out and the starter still will not engage even with the plug out so I had him put the plug back in and try to pull it manually again and the recoil will still not really pull. He says standing alongside of it he can almost pick the machine up with the pullsart by trying to pull it. I had him try to tap the starter thinking maybe it got stuck from sitting or something and that did not work either. The machine is in new jersey and I am in florida so I am kind of relaying stuff for him to try. Any help would be sweet thanx.

Old 11-10-2006, 10:19 PM
Trailblazer

i once heard you can tow these to jump start them but have never tried it.

Old 11-11-2006, 01:47 AM
Pro Rider

well I would have to tell you that make sure the killswitch is working and that the hey is turned on lol j/p you are talking about pop starting when towing a quad correct it does work but for quads with clutch yes they all have a clutch but racing quads...I would tell him to try different angles while pulling the pull start and make sure he doesn't hit the throttle or have the throttle stuck as it will not allow you to turn the engine over...make sure he tests the battery making sure it puts out atleast 12 volts...and I would def drain the old gas out of that tank since having it sit for a while will clog up your carb unless you want to clean out your jets...Make sure it is in gear and having it in 4x4 or something else on the selection lever could affect the starting...where at in jeresy is the quad?