ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   I am new on ATV?s and planning to buy a Raptor 660 (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/258808-i-am-new-atv-s-planning-buy-raptor-660-a.html)

Tuurbine 02-01-2007 02:38 PM

I am new on ATV?s and planning to buy a Raptor 660

Hi, I just want some expert advice on what to do. I am 31 years old, 5.9 feet, and 165 pounds. I have never drived an ATV before but I want to buy one. I have been offered an used 2003 Raptor 660, and I want to know if it is "Too much a machine" for me to have at the beggining or not. I am really afraid of having to drive something I won?t be able to control... or maybe my fears are just dumb... Please advice me what should I do.

Thank you very much for your time guys

DriverDoyle 02-01-2007 02:42 PM

Being your a little older like me..You should not have any probs with the rappy..They run good in stock form..but there nother just over powering..Just take your time and learn how she handles..rappys are a little tippy in stock form..but there by far IMO one of the best quads out there..

SpDdEmOn 02-01-2007 02:51 PM

Yeah you will be fine.

Tuurbine 02-01-2007 03:40 PM

Thank you guys for your answers. About it been tippy... how could I fix that?

Thanks once again.. I think I will buy it next week, the guy who is selling it told me he changed the original suspention of the raptor 660, with a YFZ 450 Gas suspension... is that good or bad? also includes K&N competition filters..

One more time, thank you.. and by the way, I am not plannig to compete or anything.. as I told you before I am completly new to this.. Just plan to use it for recreation.

ss97 02-01-2007 03:55 PM

Being older is nice, but also be smarter ....... I've seen plenty of older guys pick up a Raptor660 only to be selling it after they nearly killed themselves on an early ride..............

Just be smart and practice a lot before you go slamming gears. If you've got some off-road experience you'll be quick to pick it up..... but if a tractor is the quickest thing you've ever ridden in the dirt all I can say is ride within your means and ......PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!

deanz400 02-01-2007 04:06 PM

Raptors have alittle higher center of gravity , just means you have to use more body english to control it ,

Turtler 02-01-2007 10:09 PM

You can fix the tippiness a number of ways, wheel spacers to widen the stance out will add stability at a low cost. I wound up buying +2" a-arms and a +4" rear axle. That will set you back quite a bit depending on your hardware selection.

The great thing about the raptor is you can putt around camp or open it up and fly. It is very forgiving in a number of different riding conditions. Start slow! You need some seat time and I would suggest riding with an experienced rider. You can get many tips that will keep the rubber side down.

Welcome to the atv community. You have elected a hobby that is a sink hole of money but it hasn't deterred me.

themadwarriorrider 02-02-2007 06:56 AM

I will sell you mine
04 raptor 660
im in mo.

Tuurbine 02-02-2007 10:10 AM

Thanks for all the info guys, it has been really helpfull.
If it is a little bit tippy, exactly what does that means? I have to be careful in turning because I may tip to the side?

Also for the one who is offering me to sell his Raptor 660, thank you for the offer but I live in Ecuador, south america..

One more time, thank you all and hope to really get the hang of it pretty soon.

BlackRaptor 02-02-2007 10:54 AM

It's tippy meaning if you turn fast or hard to the right or left it will go up on two wheels.
I had an 03 Raptor which i put 2+ a arms and the axle on.
Be honest unless the Raptor is a crazy good deal its really not worth dropping that much modding money into it when there are ATV's out there that handle as much better.
But the raptor is awesome on trails with all that torque. or tight trails i think the raptor is king.