Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

700 Grizz vs Outlander Max 800 -

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700 Grizz vs Outlander Max 800 -

Originally posted by: Punisher660
The logic behind it is quite simple......
Well in that case I would think The 700 Griz would be best match. I had mine in Moab and loved it. Only problem was trying not to get lost while having so much fun. Before buying 700 Griz I also looked close at CA but the linked brake system and concerns about reliability pointed to Yamaha.

Old 03-23-2007, 07:01 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

I own the 700 Grizzly and I have ridden the CanAm 800 Max in a real world situation (with and without a passenger).

Before I got my new Grizzly I actually had these two machines at the top of my "want" list. The Grizzly will give you a comfortable ride, but the CanAm is even better in that department. In fact, I've yet to experience a softer, cushier ATV ride than what the 800 Max delivers.

Unless you are a racer or absolute top speed is important to you, the Grizzly will have ample power to get the job done. I have never yet been in a situation on the trail where I felt my Grizzly was lacking in the power department.

The longer wheelbase of the CanAm will give you more stability when ascending and descending hills (requiring less body english to keep the machine planted on all 4 wheels). Maneuverability will go to the Grizzly with it's shorter wheelbase though.

The linked brake system is a big turn-off for me as I prefer independent front / rear brake control on an ATV. I also prefer a manual 4WD system (one that stays engaged until I turn it off again). Those features alone is why I ended up getting the new Grizzly instead of the 800 Max (although if I had an immediate need for a 2 seater ATV I would have gone with the Max anyway). Also that EPS feature on the new Grizzly will spoil you quickly. It is so nice to have a consistent (easy) feel to the steering no matter what kind of terrain you are dealing with. Also you can't really tell the difference in "feel" (steerability) when you are in limited slip 4WD mode (versus 2WD mode) either!

BTW, the 700 Grizzly is a more refined machine than the 660 Grizzly (I have both). The 700 handles better, rides smoother and has a lower center of gravity (fuel tank is under the seat on the 700)...

Old 03-23-2007, 07:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have to admit, what keeps bringing me back to the Grizz is the manual 4wd and locker controls.....an auto tranny is one thing, but I do like some control on my machines. The other is the price.....I just don't like the idea of being that heavily invested in one machine.

I am trying to talk the wife into letting me get rid of the Blaster and just get 2 Grisslys - In our state, riding 2-up on a quad is legal and for the few times we actually have company, I think they could just handle riding doubles. When we ride doubles, its only ever at a leisurely trail pace on some pretty tame trails.

I appreciate the comments 2TV - that was exactally the kind of input I was looking for.

Old 03-23-2007, 07:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

I own a 660 Griz and my wife and I really enjoy it. I also have some seat time on the 700, it is a very nice machine. The EPS really is an asset and I cannot say enough about it. If the choice were between the 2, I would definitely choose the Yami for my wife. My wife and I can ride 2 up on the Grizzlys with plenty of comfort. Just buy 2 700's and you will both be happy. Best of luck...

Old 03-24-2007, 10:11 PM
Trailblazer

If you have the money I would say get the Can Am. I love mine and it came with a 5, yes 5 yr warranty! Some posts I agree with, Some I don't. The frame, at least the first 6 inches in the front of mine is dented from a nice meeting with a boulder. It is fine, just know it will dent. So, if you buy an outlander, buy the skid plates. What I don't agree with is the visco-lock comments. I ride alot and with all types of machines. This is only my opinion but I would gladly take an outlander or polaris with their AWD over any machine without it and I'm not a fan of a polaris. It is just smooth and effortless. I seen the videos on you tube also. I don't know of mine ever acting that way, if it did, I never noticed it. I have also ridden the grizzly 700 and you only need a foot to steer the thing, it is that easy, you don't even need hands. Nice addition to an already outstanding machine. The grizzly is a tried and true machine. The can am is only 1.5 years in the making. It is the funnest quad I have ever ridden. PERIOD! Dirt Wheels said it best, IT'S A ROCKETSHIP WITH HANDLEBARS. It seriously will outrun most sportquads in a dragrace. Reliability of it is the last thing I worry about. Good luck in choosing, I'm sure you're wife will like which ever one she recieves!

Old 03-25-2007, 10:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

After much debate with the wife, I think we are going to go with 2 Grizzlys - if not for anything else, its the fun factor. The price of the Outlander was just a little more than I want to spend on a single machine. For only a few $K more, we can both have fun riding our own machines and the kids liked the idea of not being stuck as just a passenger.

I appreciate all the input as it really brought up some points I had not yet thought of.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:59 AM
Range Rover

I have riden both I also own a 800 max xt and a 800 xt. I cant say anything bad about the Grizzly its a very good machine. But I would rather have the Canam anytime over the Grizzly. I ride with a 660, and a 700, and these guys cant go any better than the 800. And in the snow the 800 smokes the 700 BADLY. I do like the EPS its a cool feature I wish the Canam had it. But if you can talk her into 2 machines go for the 700 like you said earlier. GOOD LUCK

Old 03-26-2007, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does cam-am have a true engine-braking system on their CVTs like the Yamaha Ultramatic? That was the one thing that makes me only look at Yamaha or Honda 4x4s. I have never been impressed by electronic/servo controled engine braking.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: rruser
Does cam-am have a true engine-braking system on their CVTs like the Yamaha Ultramatic? That was the one thing that makes me only look at Yamaha or Honda 4x4s. I have never been impressed by electronic/servo controled engine braking.
Yes it has quite a good EBS.

Old 04-06-2007, 06:45 AM
Pro Rider

I've had a good amount of seat time on the Outlander 800. I love it. It's a great machine and the engine is simply fan-freaking-tastic and the machine jumps and hops around effortlessly because of it. However, the more I have ridden it and more to the point ridden it in the woods over difficult, off camber terrain and over logs and such at speeds off idle and low speed and in various trail type situations, that for these types of situations where you are on and off throttle the "visco-lok" is simply unacceptable. It constantly locks and unlocks and you have to work the throttle too much to re-lock the front differential which is annoying and can be dangerous in some situations. There are some videos floating around out there on the net which show this sort of thing pretty vividly.

If you are just into mudding or casual trail riding or don't do slow speed off camber stuff then no sweat and don't worry about it. Of course if Can-Am would have just provided a manual over ride we wouldn't be having this conversation at all.

It definitely needs skids and shouldn't have come from the factory without them. The frame itself tough appears to be adequate despite that. The Outty I have ridden belongs to a sport quad rider who has jumped and beat his Outty unmercifully with no apparent frame bending or damage.

If you're going to ride double then the 2-up Outty is the best choice in my book. They say it's a madman on hills and its really the best way to carry passengers without paralyzing or outright killing them.

I recently got some seat time on the new Grizzly. It is one sweet machine. No, it isn't as fast as the Outlander 800. I think it's a better and more capable trail machine though. The power steering wasn't the gimmick I thought it was and it really worked. It handles great on the trail and has a great "feel". You lock the front differential and go. None of that wheel spinning ridiculousness of the Outlander. I didn't want to get off the new Grizz once I started riding it.

Until rode the Outlander awhile and lived with the visco-lok in my riding conditions I thought I would buy one. I just can't now until they provide an over ride for it or the aftermarket does. Getting more seat time on the Grizz (and the new Polaris 800 with better engine braking) leaves me leaning towards the new Grizzly and possibly the Polaris 800.

Now the rotax 800 in the new grizzly - that would be freakin sweet.

Quick Reply: 700 Grizz vs Outlander Max 800 -