Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wet Wolverine.....OH NO

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wet Wolverine.....OH NO

so i was out riding friday night and i saw a creek crossing it started out about 8inches deep no problem then it droped off to about 6 feet. needless to say i sucked up enough water to make my oil look like thick *** milk. the next day i drained the oil and visted my local yamaha to spend 140 bucks on oil filters ect....well i've changed the oil and turned it over a few times to blow out the water hoping it would start. well after a few hours and no luck i drained the oil... still white but not as bad....anyways to make a long story short she has new oil in her again and still wont start. i've tried starting fluid and no dice...any idea's.

thanks in advance for the help

Old 03-25-2007, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider

Probably if you got that much water in the engine, the carb is full too.
Drain the carb good and when you get it started keep changing oil till its not milky anymore.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hopefully you pulled the plug before you cranked it over. If you didn't you could have bent a valve. Drain the exhaust and the carb and give it some time to dry out, could have gotten in the electronics.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

probably water in the bowl like OhHell said. drain it out good and let everything dry. if that nasty water was in there, wouldnt be a bad idea to clean the carb, too.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider

well i decided to give up last night. i'm going to drain the fuel and clean out the carb tonight. hopefully it will work. i don't think i bent a valve because i'm not hearing any strange noises. it's a bummer that i couldn't get it running last night... thanks for the help everyone. i'm pretty sure i got all the water out of the crank case for the most part..probably one more oil change

Old 03-26-2007, 10:50 AM
Pro Rider

Drain your clutch housing as well, You might have to go back to Yamaha and buy a $16.00 can of grease for the clutch if it diluted the clutch grease and slings it out. Check your rear diff as well make sure it is not milky either.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider

i'm pretty sure the rear diff never made it in the drink....but i'll check it anyways. as for the V-belt. that was the first thing i drained the moment i was pulled out. it was only in the water for about a minute. but that was enough to flood the entire front end. but i'll check that stuff that you mentioned.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

have you pulled your plug and checked the spark yet? just another thought if you cant get it running, maybe the water screwed up something with the ignition.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider

well i drained the gas and the carb...and all i'm getting out of it is back fires....dang... anyone know what to set the fuel air mixture screw at

Old 03-26-2007, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

you probably need to clean the carb, especially if there was nasty water in it. a clogged pilot would cause it to backfire like that. at least take the bowl off and spray the heck out of the insides with a can of carb cleaner. starting the screw at 2.5-3 turns out should get it to idle (im not sure if that is what the factory recommends, but it should get it at least idling)