Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Polaris like chain guard for non-polaris quad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2000, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does any one know where I can get a polaris like chain and rotor guard like for my Raptor?

For those who think I've had one too many hits on the crack pipe, the polaris chain guard is ultra sweet, just a round piece of steel screwed to the sprocket, that is about an inch larger than the chain and sprocket, thus keeping rocks and stuff from getting to the sprocket.

Scramblerdrew and I believe that it would yeild a better ground clearance, while increasing protection to the important areas of the carrier.
(Skid plates too often become shovels in the mud)

Have a Merry Christmas
BCC

Old 12-22-2000, 12:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

I agree 100%, the Polaris chain guard works very well and results in few if any hang ups. I rode my Scambler for a long time without a swingarm skid plate and never got hung up or suffered any damage. I put on a swingarm skid plate because my buddy managed to bend his brake rotor and I'm sorry I did. I lost ground clearance and I've managed to get hung up several times.

I've got a Raptor now also and I think BigCrashChris has got a good idea. Let us know if you are successful.

Old 12-26-2000, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider

Good Idea, I will get my buddy to make me one he can make just about everything I already put a PRM skid on mine but I wish I could go bigger on the rear spocket and I cant go to much bigger because of the chain/sprocket will hit the skid and I dont wanna shim the skid down because of clearance reasons. I to had a scrambler 5004x4 and I did like that design so I will check into it and see what he can come up with and then I'll put a post on here.

Old 12-26-2000, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

I agree, but It is very important to protect the swing arm and axle carrier. I am willing to bet you could have some one make you one cheap, But I would think a swing arm and carrier would cost close to a $1000 to replace.

Old 12-27-2000, 12:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

One thing to remember about the Polaris is that there is also a rounded steel plate bolted to the rear brake assembly. It sticks down to protect the brake rotor just like the one on the chain sprocket. Since these are on either side of the axel carrier it does give it some protection too. It's not 100% but the two rounded plates on edge do slide over rocks MUCH BETTER than a full skid plate.

Old 12-27-2000, 09:13 AM
Pro Rider

yeah, I remember that ScramblerDrew's Scrambler 500 4x4 had that little nub under the brake rotor. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person looking for a solution like this. I hope them aftermarket companies look at this post.

YamahaRaptor, would just having a simple plate bolted to the swingarm, in addition to this chain guard and brake guard suffice, as far as protecting the swingarm? I know that a couple of riding area's here have rock gardens that would scratch the snot out of a swingarm, without some type of protection, but from what I can see on the other skid plates, they seem to act like shovels, especially when backing up, and that's when just having the chain guard would be really nice.