Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

will a k&n filter and an ebay power tip require rejetting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will a k&n filter and an ebay power tip require rejetting?

hey guys in my 06 wolverine i put a k&n filter and an ebay polished power tip.basically its an aluminum tip that you bolt in on your stock exhaust and it eliminates the spark arrestor,will this require rejetting?

Old 04-09-2007, 01:48 AM
Trailblazer

throw a fresh plug in it and run it for a while under different conditions during a day and then do a plug reading,sometimes you do sometimes you dont,alot depends on location and weather,hope this helps

Old 04-09-2007, 02:18 AM
Pro Rider

As a rule of thumb anytime you play with the amount of power the atv delivers you should rejet. However I didnt with just the filter. You best bet is to go by how it feels power wise.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider

Careful...if it's running lean the power will still seem good, but you'll be runnin' real hot. Grab a couple more main jets from a shop and jet er up till she's just a little rich, then back down one size. If you want a fancy sticker too, you could buy a DynoJet kit.
Dial-a-Jet has this Remote Float Bowl thing that you can run another type of fuel(methanol, alcohol) through to richen up you mixture and run cooler. I don't know if I buy the HP gain claims, but, check it out if your interested in something a little different.

link: http://www.thunderproducts.com/dial_a_jet_remoteFB.htm

Old 04-09-2007, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider

thanks guys ,how do i go by the plug reading?

Old 04-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

Found this online....I know you don't have "top gear" or a clutch, but.......

PLUG CHECK & READING SPARK PLUGS
The first step is to replace the old spark plug with a new one. Make sure it is the proper plug for your machine, and that it is gapped properly. An improper plug gap will throw off the readings. If the gap is too small, it will not burn properly. If it is too large, it will cause added stress on other ignition components, causing premature failure. You should have fresh fuel at the proper octane level. Most small engines run best with 92-94 octane fuels. It is also important that you have a clean air and fuel filters for the tests.
Plug testing is the easiest way to help you dial in the jetting of the carburetor after adding performance parts and for different altitude or weather changes. The color of the spark plugs is used as an indicator and lets you know what way to start re-jetting the carburetor.
There are three basic ranges that a plug test can be used to check.
3/4-Full throttle, which is controlled primarily by the main jet
1/2 throttle, which is dominated by the taper angle of the needle and the clip position.
1/4 throttle, which is mainly, controlled by the strait diameter of the needle but also the slow circuit.

Testing the Main Jet
Once you have a new plug installed and gapped properly, start the machine and let it warm up. Take the machine for a VERY short ride to bring it up to normal operating temperature. Find an open spot of road and get it up to top gear. Roll on the throttle and hold
it wide open; 2 strokes for 3-5 seconds. 4 strokes 10 - 15 seconds. While you are still wide open you must stop/kill the engine using the kill switch while pulling in the clutch at the same time, all the while still holding the throttle wide open. Let the bike coast to a stop with the clutch still pulled in .Do not let the clutch out until you come to a complete stop.

**** It is very important that you do not let the engine slow down or idle at all. You must do it this way for every test!****

Now you need to remove the spark plug and check its condition. You want to look and take note at the white insulator part of the plug only, not the metal tip or electrode.
The insulator of the spark plug must be a light grayish-tan to light brown color. If the insulator is white, it is too lean, meaning the main jet is too small. If the insulator is black or wet, it is too rich, meaning the main jet is too big.

The steps for checking the other ranges are basically the same. If you want to check the 1/2 throttle range you want to hold it steady at 1/2 throttle in top gear for about 20-30 seconds. The same for 1/4 throttle testing, hold it steady at 1/4 throttle. Pull in the clutch and shut if off at the same time while holding the throttle at a steady speed.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

A correct main jet will allow the engine to rev cleanly all the way until it drops off the power band with out sputtering or hesitation. A lean mixture will have power in the lower RPM's but will get sluggish and/or hesitate in the higher RPM's. A rich mixture will rev ok but sputter in the higher RPM ranges

Old 04-09-2007, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider

well my engine splutter's after 60% gas,but i think it still has mud in the carb.the dial ajet kit sounds good for 75 bucks but whats that 15 dollars snorkel kit recommended? also have you seen this product (http://www.thunderproducts.com/u_f_o.htm) looks good to