Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help convince me about a Grizzly 450!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 01:03 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help convince me about a Grizzly 450!

Hey all,

I currently have a Suzuki Eiger 4x4 Manual, that has been a lemon. But, it does run strong and hardly any engine vibration. I want to get rid of it and move up for either a Suzuki Vinson manual or a Yamaha Grizzly 450. The features of the Grizzly have me drooling. But, I'm not sure about something...

The only other quad I have ridden in the past is my brother's Sportsman 335. His Sportsman has a lot of vibration when first hitting the throttle from a stand still. (The plastic actually shakes) I figured it was just from his quad being old and not taken care of. However, my cousin just got a Grizzly 350. I gave it a very quick ride down his street the other day. His also seemed to have vibration when first hitting the throttle on a slow take off. Now, it was pretty cold out last week and we had to keep the choke partially on to keep it running. So maybe his was just cold.

So now I'm wondering... Do all automatics experience a sort of vibration at take off? Maybe I'm just used to the instant take off of the manual, but I do want an automatic. (Only a Yamaha auto, as they seem to be the best. That's why I'm not looking at the Vinson auto).

Thanks

Old 04-14-2007, 04:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the Grizzly 450. The Kodiak could be another choice if you wanted used. I think the Grizzly has the same 421cc motor that my Wolverine does and I absolutely love it.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:29 AM
Trailblazer

What about the vibration? Do you notice it?

Old 04-15-2007, 10:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

I had an 03 Kodiack 450, it was a flawless machine, but it did have some vibration. You could feel it mostely in the floor boards. It never really bothered me much but it did viberate. The clutches aren't very sufisticated and have a rattle on the low end I'm told this is normal. Don't get me wrong, the Kodiack/ Grizzley is an excellent machine.

Hope this helps some.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider

With the Wolverine I dont really notice any vibration, It just feels like Im on a quad, I have never really paid any attention to any vibration. I think what you are talking about might be a belt slipping? for the automatic
They have a CVT transmission that is driven by a belt, if he has ridden it through any bigger creeks then he could have gotten water in there and that could possibly cause it to slip a little.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've got a 06 Kodiak 450. Same thing as the new grizz. I love my machine. All I've really ridden is auto's so I can't comment on the vibration. Haven't had one problem with mine. Only thing I would suggest is putting on after market tires and at least some spacers to have better stability and handling. Those stock 2 ply tires just don't cut it. Good luck man.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:15 PM
Range Rover

Go ride a king quad 450, or better yet drive the 700. For a thousand dollars more, i would get the 700. The kodiak always felt so small to me, just like the honda rancher.

Trending Topics

Old 04-16-2007, 10:59 PM
Trailblazer

Well,

The size of the Griz 450 is what I liked about it. The King Quad is tempting with the Fuel Injection, but it just seemed huge to me. As it is, my Eiger feels big. I was interested in the new Rancher as well. However, I've made a decision to stay away from any 1st year machines. As far as moving up to a big bore, my budget just doesn't permit it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 04-16-2007, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

I have to say that I felt the same way about the size of the bigger quads especially with IRS I felt like I was going to tip over just making a slow turn. But with the 450 size(just about perfect) and the SRA I love it. I would like another 50cc and about 50-100 lbs less but oh well what are you going to do.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

I'm happy with my choice.......The kodiak 450 is a very nice quad

Quick Reply: Help convince me about a Grizzly 450!