ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   stolen banshee what to do (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/266006-stolen-banshee-what-do.html)

tddart 05-02-2007 12:47 AM

stolen banshee what to do

I had a 2001 Yamaha Banshee that was stolen from the driveway Sunday night between 11pm - 5:30am called the police filed the report. does anyone know what else I can do? I live in Massachusetts. does anyone know what the rate of recovery is?

JLsparky7 05-02-2007 01:14 AM

Keep an eye out on ebay. Also local auto trader type magazine's. Buy a gun.

tddart 05-02-2007 01:25 AM

thanks. This is all new to me, I don't ride much, but we were talking about it since the nice weather is finally here. The culprits only got the banshee. we also had a polaris on the same trailer.

themadwarriorrider 05-02-2007 07:18 AM

Did it get stolen from your residence or where you ride.

if it got stolen from your home it could be in your area somewhere still.

if it got stolen from the riding area, it could be any where.

keep an eye out and get in your vehicle and take a drive where people ride. Look for susp people who are watching other people in your riding area. Follow these people who are susp. and watch for people selling parts real cheap in your area. allot of the time the thieves know they are limited where they can ride a stolen bike. they may be riding it somewhere private. like in a dirt bag community in your area.
police sometimes get lucky and recover bikes when the thieves steal several bikes/ or when they are involved in other things. the vin of that bike is now a registered stolen bike in America
I will watch for it in Mo. as I do every bike I find

the Police

siberthugd 05-03-2007 02:08 AM

Unfortunately, the police won't do sh*t unless they come across it. Keep an eye out for it. It sucks but ASSachusetts doesn't allow you to insure an ATV or dirtbike unless it's registered on the road.

I had my Duncin 250r ($25K invested, full race quad), Banshee, gf's 250ex and my 400ex in my enclosed trailer (with all my race gear and tools) stolen out of my driveway. Never saw them again. Everything included I lost over $60K.

Only thing you MAY be able to do is contact your homeowners insurance and see if they will cover it. If you can prove you owned it and have a police report, it was stolen FROM your home, which homeowners covers. (If you rent and have renter's insurance, same deal, or your landlord may put in a claim for you.

Personally, I was just f*cked. Our homeowners wouldn't cover it because it was in a trailer, which is "auto insurance". It wasn't a registered auto, so all I was covered for was the trailer. Whoopity doo. I called the cops everyday for 8 months. Really pissed them off. Finally they straight out told me that they didn't have the manpower or resources to look for off road vehicles that are "probably stripped or ditched in the woods by now". They told me to hire a Private Investigator and keep my eyes out.

That was 6 years ago.
You need to get to the bottom of it yourself. Do your own homework, hire who you need to, make your own phonecalls. The police are too busy picking up drunks and bums off the street to actually help a citizen out and catch real criminals... the ones who steal from hardworking individuals like yourself.

I wish you the best. Good luck

edited By ATV Connection Quad patrol[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] watch your language on your next post.

CaptainQuint 05-03-2007 03:18 AM

Originally posted by: siberthugdIt sucks but ASSachusetts doesn't allow you to insure an ATV or dirtbike unless it's registered on the road.
Are you serious???? You can't purchase an insurance policy on an ATV in, to quote you, <giggle>ASSachusetts<giggle>? That has to be one of the craziest things I have ever heard. I can't even fathom the logic of such a thing.

What possible interest would the state have in denying an insurance company from offering an insurance policy covering loss, liability collision and such on their ATV, off road motorcycle, go-kart or dune buggy? That sounds absolutely nuts.

rescuediver 05-03-2007 04:29 PM

Originally posted by: tddart
I had a 2001 Yamaha Banshee that was stolen from the driveway Sunday night between 11pm - 5:30am called the police filed the report. does anyone know what else I can do? I live in Massachusetts. does anyone know what the rate of recovery is?
To answer your question; Quads can be easily hidden in garages, shops, sheds, etc. Put the word out, post pictures of your quad at local stores and riding area. Also visit areas that are frequented by riders. If they are patroled, talk to the entrance station and law enforcement officers, tell them about your bike. I don't know how Mass. law is, but in California, if your quad is registered as a motor vehicle through DMV (you pay vehicle registration) then it is entered into NCIC/CLETS as a motor vehicle, if it is not registered through DMV, then it is entered as property and the crime classification is based off of the value of the item. Good luck.

siberthugd 05-03-2007 05:02 PM

***Edited by ATV Connection Moderator*** Way to welcome someone to the forum. I didn't stereotype anyone. I said the police that handled my case were horrible and did a sh*tty job. Educate myself... Hmmm, I'm 25 years old, have a major in finance with a minor in business, recieved early acceptance from college which means I left high school in my junior year, got a 1460 on my SAT's, I did 2 tours overseas in the Marines full time (still in reserves) and I'm a correctional officer for the prison overnights. Did I mention I own my own powdercoating business as well as a sign shop. I also found time to get my EMT and go to the fire academy. But yeah, I'm uneducated and I hate law enforcement. Your outta your tree man.

scootergptx 05-03-2007 05:45 PM

I think maybe you might want to talk to the guy in this thread. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

sneeze 05-03-2007 06:28 PM

Originally posted by: siberthugd<br
Educate myself... Hmmm, I'm 25 years old, have a major in finance with a minor in business, recieved early acceptance from college which means I left high school in my junior year, got a 1460 on my SAT's, I did 2 tours overseas in the Marines full time (still in reserves) and I'm a correctional officer for the prison overnights. Did I mention I own my own powdercoating business as well as a sign shop. I also found time to get my EMT and go to the fire academy. .
I have a masters in sneezeafication.

Here is the problem you should not be blaming the police because they won't or can't do anything but blame the education system for not teaching you to park 60k that someone could tow off.

Too answer the original question I read some where in the past that for ATVs the recovery rate is less than 35 percent if they are stolen.