Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor won't run with choke off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 01:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor won't run with choke off?

I have a 686 Raptor built in 2005. I rode it 8 times total since build. I got divorced last year and, haven't rode it since last July 4th (06). I finally got time to mess with it so i changed the oil, gas and anti freeze. I ran great for 5 min and, now will only run with the choke on (half way). As soon as i give it gas or take the choke off = dies out.

I called the place that built my motor and, they said it sounds like the pilot jet is clogged. So, i took the carbs off, cleaned all the jets and, parts of the carb with carb cleaner and, compressor. I put it all back together and, SAME Thing! I also changed the plug for the heck of it...

I'm lost, can someone please help..

Old 07-31-2007, 01:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Your still lean. These engines use very little gas so they have VERY small carb passages. Take the carbs off and clean every passage...............again. I would guess the main jet. Confirm the passages are clear with carb cleaner. Also make sure the vent lines are clear and not pinched.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:17 AM
Pro Rider

I've actually taken em off and, cleaned the carbs 3 times now. I took the jets out of both carbs, I hosed every hole with Carb and Choke Cleaner, Blew threw every hole with my air compresor (both ways). I made sure i can see through the pilot Jets and, mains.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:57 AM
Pro Rider

Look at your carb to intake manifold boots carefully for cracks or other places where they can leak air, and make sure that they are fully on and tight at both ends.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

If your 100% sure the jets are clear then the next thing to look at is what Quad-Maniac suggests. If the carbs are working correctly then you have an air leak somewhere.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider

The first time i took it apart i found that the pilot jet on the small jet carb was clogged. This is when i did all the hosing out with carb cleaner and, blowing compressed air through. The second time i took it apart it was partially clogged again. So the 2nd and, 3rd times i repeated the cleaning of both sides...

I will check the carb boots. Is there an ez way to detect a leak in them? Maybe the old "spray soapy water on to see if it bubbles" trick?

Old 07-31-2007, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

Quick dumb question - if you can see through them and, blow through them the jets should be clear, right?

Trending Topics

Old 07-31-2007, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

I've heard you can spray a little starter fluid around them while running (be careful!). Comments anyone?

Old 07-31-2007, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: CaptBags

Quick dumb question - if you can see through them and, blow through them the jets should be clear, right?</end quote></div>

There can still be sticky deposits changing their flow rates. A good inspection with a magnifier or eye loupe is a good idea to verify that they are truly clean and shiny,

Old 07-31-2007, 08:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

The problem with a clog is it can not only be in the jet but it can also be in the passage. A fast way to check the passages is with a can of carb cleaner and a hose on the nozzle. Every passage that the cleaner goes in, it must come out.

If you can see through the jets, they are fine.

As far as the boot goes, you can do the trick that Quad-Maniac talks about. If it idles fine I would not think you have an air leak but rather a clogged passage in the carb somewhere in the main circuit.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Quick Reply: Raptor won't run with choke off?