Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

06 Wolverine 450 wont go over 45mph.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Wolverine 450 wont go over 45mph.

Ok guys...I put a hmf pipe and a k&n filter on my wolvy about a month ago, and I also picked up the dynojet kit for it. I have never touched a carb before, so I thought I would bring it to a shop and have it jetted by a pro.

Well, it has been about a month and they still cant get it running right....they have tried every combo that they could do with the dyno jet kit, and it still wont go over 45mph.

It revs clean all the way through the RPM range in neutral, but if you lift the back end up off the ground, put it in gear and hit the throttle...it starts popping at 45mph, and wont go any faster. I thought it was just leaning out at the top of the RPM range not letting it rev all the way out and go any faster, and I thought the shop was not doing something right....but now I'm thinking differently.

They had one more jet setup they said they could try last week, so I gave them a few days to get it done. Well, I went there today and they said its still doing the same thing. I talked to the tech that worked on my machine and he said he is stumped, he has jetted hundreds of quads over his career and he has never been stuck like this.

After we talked about it for a while, the shop manager said there wasn't much more they could do. But then an idea popped into my head......what about the belt slipping on the CVT? I remember reading about a guy with a wolverine on here a while back that couldn't get his over 40mph, and it ended up being that he lost all of the grease out of the clutch pack.

As soon as I mentioned that, both the shop manager and the tech pretty much slapped themselves in the head and agreed that that was probably the problem (the shop sells polaris quads, and they said this is a normal problem with the sportsman). A few weeks before I put the pipe on, a friend of my dads rode my wolvy through a pond which was about 4' deep, and buried it up to the gas tank in water. When I got it home, I power washed the hell out of it and I'm sure I blasted the hole for the CVT drain plug a few times with the power washer (I had the plug pulled so It was an open hole)

Does this sound like it could be my problem? The belt is slipping, or all the grease is out of it so the engine is revving all the way up and hitting the rev limiter, but the cvt wont catch (or whatever you want to call it) so it wont go over 45mph. Reasonable or am I just reaching now?
I'm getting desperate here guys, I want to take one more dunes trip before it closes for the year, but I don't want to go without my wolverine. And I wont take it out there unless its running 100%.

They said they were going to tear the CVT apart tomorrow and see how it looked, and re-pack it with the grizz grease if needed. I hope to god this is the problem.

anybody have any ideas?

Old 09-19-2007, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

sounds plausable. Mine did it once after i did not ride my bike for a while, the bike would rev up but would not go over 18 mph. I goosed the throttle a few times and the CVT finally upshifted.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:05 AM
Pro Rider

Never had it happen to my son's 450 and he has buried a million times and I have had to drain the case on several of them. I have heard that can happen and now it makes me think I should check his. He is 100% stock and turns a hair over 50 mph on his speedo. He is around 125 lbs.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yhea if you throw the grease out of the primary clutch it will slip. Definetly pull the clutch housing off and repack the primary(water up in the clutch housing will dilute it, or oil if you ahve a leak after a clutch kit ;D like me)

Old 09-20-2007, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider

There was all kinds of grease up in the cvt vent tube under the back of the seat, so I bet I lost a lot of it between driving in the water and power washing it. I will run up there later today and see if they got it fugured out.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yhea you definetly found the problem, you can get grizz grease at yamaha and that will let you repack it 3-4 times. If you need instructions to do it yourself let me know and ill send the instructions to you.

Oh and if you wanted to install a clutch kit now is the time to do it.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Ctateusa1, I told the shop just to do it because they already had it there. I hope to god this is the problem, I have been without it for over a month which really sucks beause I just want to finish it up. Over $1000 in parts in the garage just waiting to be finished up. Pics to come as soon as its done, it doesnt even look like the same machine anymore.