ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   YFZ Exhaust Question (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/276375-yfz-exhaust-question.html)

jamesyfz 10-29-2007 08:27 PM

YFZ Exhaust Question

Does any1 else's exhaust on the yfz burn holes in your pants? I have an 07 yfz with a yosh pipe and every time we go ride it burns seems a new hole in my pants leg. What can be causing it to run so hot or do that all do that?

Raptor450 10-29-2007 09:44 PM

YFZ Exhaust Question

Everybody's that I know does that. My buddies want to look all cute and buy these freakin' $150 riding pants and then go burn a hole in them. I just wear some jeans or some tough $30 camo's and I don't have any holes in mine. We measured the temperature of the exhaust pipe on a YFZ 450 at around 600 degrees. Then we made some aluminum heat shields to go around the exhaust pipe and the temp of the shields measured around 300 degrees. After installing the shields, he didn't burn his prissy little pants anymore.

Scooter86 10-30-2007 11:15 AM

YFZ Exhaust Question

If it is a problem, you might want to try a heat shield like Raptor450 mentioned. For the YFZ, the headers tuned more for top end tend to come farther out and stay higher in the frame than the torque tuned headers which dive lower at the start and stay tighter to the engine. I have an HMF system and have never burned any pants, but the header I have sets lower and tighter than others.

bberck 10-30-2007 12:58 PM

YFZ Exhaust Question

Buddies pants have holes on in his from his HMF on his 450. He cant even were shorts in the summer because his leg will get cherry red even if he doesnt touch it.

03bansh33 10-30-2007 01:19 PM

YFZ Exhaust Question

buy some heat rap and put on it.

Hebs 10-30-2007 02:30 PM

YFZ Exhaust Question

When I first owned it, I had a pair of jeans catch fire from the header... Now I typically wear mx boots (raw hide leather side and heat shield built in) or keep my leg clear from the header...

Scooter86 10-31-2007 09:27 AM

YFZ Exhaust Question

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: bberck

Buddies pants have holes on in his from his HMF on his 450. He cant even were shorts in the summer because his leg will get cherry red even if he doesnt touch it.</end quote></div>

Huh, I have been riding for 2 seasons with that HMF and never had a problem. Then again, I wear mx boots everytime I ride. My brother has the same setup and hasn't burned any pants either. Chalk up one more advantage to wearing full sized mx boots I guess.

bberck 10-31-2007 10:48 PM

YFZ Exhaust Question

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Scooter86

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: bberck

Buddies pants have holes on in his from his HMF on his 450. He cant even were shorts in the summer because his leg will get cherry red even if he doesnt touch it.</end quote></div>

Huh, I have been riding for 2 seasons with that HMF and never had a problem. Then again, I wear mx boots everytime I ride. My brother has the same setup and hasn't burned any pants either. Chalk up one more advantage to wearing full sized mx boots I guess.</end quote></div>

He wears MX boots but has over the boot pants.

Scooter86 11-01-2007 12:27 PM

YFZ Exhaust Question

I always wear my boots over the pants. Started doing that after getting a few nice scars from my Quadracer/no boots. Although, when riding in the rain/mud I wear rainpants over the boots w/o a problem. Hmm, something to think about.

jamesyfz 11-01-2007 09:18 PM

YFZ Exhaust Question

can u get a pic of that