ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   Highlifter clutch kits (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/277061-highlifter-clutch-kits.html)

headpressure 11-09-2007 08:54 PM

Highlifter clutch kits

I'm thinking of putting a clutch kit into my 450 kodiak/Grizzly and the dealers here swear by the Highlifter units. They claim it will provide realistic gains of 4% torque and up to 25% horsepower. They claim only a slight loss to the top end.

They are however in my opinion pricey and are they as good as they say.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

kwackermann 11-09-2007 09:46 PM

Highlifter clutch kits

Wow- I'd gladly give up a little top end for gains like that in those departments. BTW- nice garage there, head...................

headpressure 11-09-2007 11:01 PM

Highlifter clutch kits

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: kwackermann

Wow- I'd gladly give up a little top end for gains like that in those departments. BTW- nice garage there, head...................</end quote></div>

That's what the service manager says to expect and she (yes girls I said "she") has been at this for a long time. The highlifter website is far more generous with their numbers.

P.S. If your refering to my avatar, that's not my garage, (although I wish), but rather one part of my local dealer's showroom. Right now that part of the showroom is full of sexy Yami 4 stroke sleds, but I will have to make do with my MXZ600 for this winter. Besides, it was worked over by a buddy of mine, (carbs, hi-perf reeds, etc.) and is probably pushing 120HP. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

ctateusa1 11-10-2007 12:20 AM

Highlifter clutch kits

I love the EPI clutch kit, I dont have any experience with the highlifter kit though.
On my wolvy I gained probably 5-10% torque, and 15% hp(but remember you are not actually adding any power, you are just changing where and when the engine makes the power. I lost about 4-5 mph on top end, but got it back with the addition of a pipe, jet kit and filter.

headpressure 11-10-2007 12:49 AM

Highlifter clutch kits

I fully expect to lose top end but for a utility quad my 450 is plenty fast (56 MPH with all the add-ons I have). So if it will only do 50 MPH after the clutch kit that's OK. I will then look at a pipe, jetting and air.

I'm after torque and snappy acceleration at the start and low-midrange. If these kits will do this then I'm ready for one.

ctateusa1 11-10-2007 10:11 AM

Highlifter clutch kits

Yes the clutch kit will give you a snappier acceleration up till top end, and more torque down low. Check into the EPI clutch kit as well as the Highlifter.

G.I. Junker 11-10-2007 03:17 PM

Highlifter clutch kits

Do you think it'll turn it into a wheelie popper? 'Cause I think thats what I'm lookin' for.

ctateusa1 11-10-2007 04:24 PM

Highlifter clutch kits

you will be able to pop wheelies with it, by pulling back on the bars, but no it wont turn it into a slam the gas wheelier The 450 just doesnt make enough power for that.

G.I. Junker 11-10-2007 04:31 PM

Highlifter clutch kits

If I do the clutch kit and don't really care about top speed 'cause I don't ride all that fast anyway, I wouldn't need to any type of intake or exhaust mods, eh? I mean just the clutch kit is okay to do by itself right?

ctateusa1 11-11-2007 02:06 AM

Highlifter clutch kits

yes the clutch kit is ok by itself you do not have to do any other mods with it.

They would just help add a little more power if you feel like you need it.