Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

+3 or +6 a-arms?

Old 11-25-2007, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default +3 or +6 a-arms?

When a-arm companies say +3 or +2, do they mean +3 total width or +3 on each side? I have a +6 extension kit on now and they arent holding up so I was looking into a-arms. I liek the +6s and I do not want to lose any width. I was looking into Wicked products ones and I believe a member on here makes them? anyway I'm just not sure if they mean total added width or the width of one side.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!
Default +3 or +6 a-arms?

Usually a-arms mean +" for each side, for instance the +2" would give you a 4" wider stance than stock. The kit you have now meant +6" total. What happened as to why the kit isn't holding up?

Old 11-25-2007, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default +3 or +6 a-arms?

I have the Lonestar XTR a-arms on a Rhino, which are +6.5, and they are +6.5 on each side. I think that is pretty much standard nomenclature for a-arms, just like Raptor450 said.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default +3 or +6 a-arms?

The a-arm measurements are per side. So a +2 kit will be 4 inches total width, etc.

The rear axle, on the other hand, is total width.

Looks like you already got your answers for that though.

Just curious, I assume the kit you have now is the one from Diamond J? I was wondering what wasn't holding up on it. I've always thought that those extension kits were a crappy cheap way to widen a quad, and was interested in what your experiences with it was.

I'd also like to add that those Wicked arms are pretty damn nice. I wish I would have went with those instead of my Burgards, their design just sucks.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default +3 or +6 a-arms?

So a +3 kit would get me +6 like I want? The reason I want a-arms and get rid of these are because the adaptor where the tie rod extensions kept breaking. One time I was riding and without warning, no bump jump or anything the tie rod extension just snapped. Welded it and it broke again. Welded and broke again and now its completely mutilated. Also I was doing a wheelie and I was shifting into 2nd and I hit a dip with the right side so over I went and it bounced several times on the right side. The whole extension part on the right side is bent very bad. Also how it is connected it bent the a-arm alot. I know I should expect damage when falling but the kit just completely bent and everything. I believe my steering stem is bent too. Overall I just want a stronger setup. Also there has just been little things here and there giving out. I knew I should have gotten a-arms from the beggening but i just couldnt pass up +6 for $100. I am going to tear apart during the winter and go through and probably re-do the whole front end.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default +3 or +6 a-arms?

Also I belive a forum member of here or raptor forums owns the wicked products company. Gonna see how much for +3 +1 maybe blue in color with brake lines but no tie rods since I just got some ASR ones for when I tear it down.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default +3 or +6 a-arms?

Well whadda know? Just opened up the new dirtwheels and there it is a test on the wicked a-arms! They give it the thumbs up and it said that the +2 mit is +4 so im good with my +3s.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default +3 or +6 a-arms?

Im also saw the dirt wheels ad and am looking into getting them for my wifes bike.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default +3 or +6 a-arms?

I'm a bit confused on why you would want +6" total on a 350? It doesn't have the power to need the added stability of such a wide profile. Have you widened out the back end to +6" also? Are your shocks set up to handle +3" a-arms? From your pics, you are really into quads and spending money on quads. You could have bought one of the latest 450s or a 700 raptor for the dough you have sunk into the 350. Nice quad but the motor is too old school to nurse up to todays quads.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default +3 or +6 a-arms?

Turtler, as a yamaha owner yourself you're probably aware that most yamahas are tall and tippy from the factory. The raptor 350 is no exception to this. Look at it this way. An additional 6 inches overall on something like a yfz might be considered extreme, but 6 inches on a raptor 350 only puts them about 2 inches wider than a stock z400, not that extreme. I myself have my warrior widened 6 inches, and think that it could stand to still be even wider. The rear axle isn't that big of a deal either, it doesn't need to be widened a full 6 inches to be even with the front. 2 or 4 inches is enough, as they come from the factory with the rear end a couple inches wider than the front. A +4 axle or offset wheel hubs would put the front and rear at very close to the same width.

And yes, the 350 is an old outdated motor, but it's reliable and it's great for trail riding because it's all torque. And when done right (it's not cheap, mind you) you can get a raptor 350 to run with the big boys. Sure, it's not the most cost effective way to go fast, but I for one don't like to be like everybody else. It's not too often you see a raptor 350 or a warrior chasing down a 400 or 450, and that sure puts a smile on my face to see the looks on everyone elses face as they realize just what really happened.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: +3 or +6 a-arms?