Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

sport bike or sport ute or what the hell?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sport bike or sport ute or what the hell?

So i have been wanting a wolverine for a while now, i recently purchased a used warrior for 800 bucks to learn on and hone my skills, which has worked out quite well but heres where i worry. Ive found a great bit of joy in mashing the gas and popping the clutch and having the front end raise up with the no problem, using the clutch in turns to roost and all the other numerous things that are done with the clutch, so going to a comlete automatic would kind of ruin the fun...right?
At least thats what i fear, i used to just want to ride now i want to tear s%#* up pop wheelies and jump!!! so maybe you can see my dilema im not sure whats in my future yfz 450 wolverine 450 raptor 660 raptor 700r. you can see that i have plenty to think about, but it will be mostly trails i ride not many fire roads and from what i can tell just a moderate amount of mud, so any insights would be appreciated but without some seat time its going to be hard.

Thanks For Reading.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't care about mudding, and don't need the quad for any kind of real work, sounds like you need a sport quad. Then again, why did you put mudlites all the way around on that Warrior if you only ride a moderate amount of mud? Personally, I like spirited trail riding and some play mx thrown in, so I need a sport quad. Don't like riding in the deep mud, to much maintenance involved. When I ride with the usual crew, there aren't many utes that can keep up for any significant duration anyway. You could always keep the Warrior and get the Wolverine too.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider

what do the people you ride with have? that's usually the biggest deciding factor... that, and the places you actually ride at...

Old 12-04-2007, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are not going to need the 4x4 aspect of the wolverine then go with a raptor, unless you need the yfz 450 for racing or riding in the dunes. The raptor has reverse and does not need to be revved out like the yfz so for trailriding I would feel like it would be a better quad.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider

i have a honda 250r and a wolverine. one a$$ ripper and one sporty 4x4. oh....when i say wolverine....i dont mean that kodiak with sport plastic thing either. lol i think the shifting of the older models will keep it fun for you...especially if you liven it up a bit with a cam ,exhaust and intake.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

yeah i got the mud lites at a good price and for the ground clearence and the fact that they last forever and are 6 ply. and id like to see more mud than i do. Also i pretty much ride by myself so thats why i feel i need 4x4.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

yeah if you are going to go with a 4x4 then get the wolverine 350 its not a kodiak with sporty plastics its a a warrior with 4x4.... if your going sport theres a 1000 choices for you. like somebody else said what terrain do you ride and what bikes do you ride with the majority of the time? thats what I love about my Wolvy 350 I ride with mostly sport quads but when I flick the WARN 424 select back to 4x4 I can hit the mud holes and the snowstorms and be right back running with the sport bikes

Name:  100_2915.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  80.0 KB

Old 12-05-2007, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

After riding a bike with a manual clutch, a fully automatic bike is so boring you might find yourself asleep on one. They both have their place, but if you like cuttin' up a manual clutch is the only way to go.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

i meant the wolverine 450 ,not the 350. if you look at my pic i have a 350 wolverine thats soo nice to ride.so i know[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-06-2007, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: CTATV

yeah if you are going to go with a 4x4 then get the wolverine 350 its not a kodiak with sporty plastics its a a warrior with 4x4.... </end quote></div>

That right there is the best description I have ever heard about the difference between a Wolverine 350 and a Wolverine 450.

I agree with what has already been said, namely that if you go from a manual clutch 350cc quad with the weight of a Warrior to a CVT transmission 450cc quad with the weight of a Wolverine 450, it is going to feel dog slow and not have as sporty feeling suspension.

If I were you I would go with a Raptor 700, or if you really feel like you need 4x4 step it up in the motor department and get a Renegade 800 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

DV

Quick Reply: sport bike or sport ute or what the hell?