Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

If you trully Love Riding.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:22 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If you trully Love Riding.

O.K. I just have to tell some one who understands why I'm freaking out, I'll try to keep this short. I bought a sweet Grizzly 660 with 200 mi on it for 5k. Rode it for 6 mos. and my "almost got choked to death son" drove it into a pine tree and bent the frame beyond repair. For the next six months it made me sick to look at it. After about another year and a half I put an add out for a used frame and found one 30 min from my house. In about a weekend I swapped the frame over ( Lots of work was done by the son ) and tonight I took it out for a ride. Wow I forgot how sweet it is, the good ol trail, the spider webs from the pine trees hitting me in the face, the stale cow patty mud hole smell steaming up from the exhaust header, man I can't believe it's been 2 years. I have a few things left to fix before I tear back into for some upgrades and mods but tonight for that oh so short 20 min ride I was an ATV rider again and I'll never deprive myself the joy of riding for so long again. Thanks for reading........................................... ..........

Old 03-29-2008, 01:09 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when you say for the next six months it made me sick to look at it.
did you mean your son? LOL just joking

Old 03-29-2008, 01:25 AM
Range Rover

glad to hear you got it back in riding condition after 2 years. Hopefully your son learned alot in the process!

Old 03-29-2008, 09:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whew, how much would a new frame have run you? 2 years is about 23 months to long for me, but I am glad you can enjoy your Grizz again. Hopefully your son has learned a few hard lessons from all this as well.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:13 AM
Trailblazer

how old is your son? you should probly never let him ride it again except maybe around the yard haha. also, how much did that used frame cost ya? how long did it take to put on?

-----------------------------------------
2007 yamaha wolverine 450 SE
2004 yamaha blaster

Old 03-29-2008, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

If you could feel the webs on your face, are we to assume you were not wearing a helmet? I hope I'm wrong I just hate to read when people ride without one........

It is nice to ride.... I've never stopped but there was a time when I didn't own an ATV for over 10 years.....and only had a few weekends of borrowed riding over the years off.. now I could not imagine having to look at my ATV for 2 years without riding it. So you must be happy to get back on the trails..........

Old 03-29-2008, 07:50 PM
Trailblazer

To WARRIOR360: I was sick to look at my son for a few days but then I remembered when I wrecked my dads brand new truck, the first new truck he had ever owned. The sick feeling in my stomach on the way home was horrible I'm sure he felt the same. The fact that he will never ride it again, paid for half of all the parts that were broke with money he earned mowing lawns, and did allot of the work to swap the frame is good enough.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:59 PM
Trailblazer

To Scooter86 & miw0lvi450: A new frame was $1000. (plus $1000. worth of labor if I paid some one) plus another $1000. for front plastics, grill, Bumper, rack, head light. I found the used frame for $350. hand sanded it, painted it and swapped it in about 2 days. Really one good 12 hour day would do it. I found some other parts used on ebay like the front rack to cut down on the costs, I'd say all together I spent about $700.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

faponce,
My son barrel rolled a brand new special edition Grizzly 660 I had in 2002. It was one of the dark pewter ones with the metalic painted plastic. The roll was on a fast gravel road, and he came into the turn too hot, and drifted the Grizzly right off the side of the road. The Grizzly rolled three full times before coming to a stop on top of my son. Luckily he only got some scrapes and scratches.

I know the feeling you describe of not being able to ride your favorite toy, and how refreshing it is to get to do it again. Congrats on getting your Grizzly put back together. Have fun with it.

DV

Old 03-30-2008, 02:26 AM
Trailblazer

THAT is great to hear u r riding again.sorry about the accident, but wouldn't of insurance paid for it ? one more thing , u did not mention if your son got hurt, atv's can be replaced . your children cannot.glad to see he helped out in paying for the repairs & helped put it all together.tough lesson to learn indeed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If you trully Love Riding.