Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Questions About New Wolverine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 01:25 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions About New Wolverine?

Hey guys, we have had a Kodiak 450 4x4 that i have been riding for a couple of years, but as of today we just got a brand new Wolverine 450. I got the Wolverine so that i could the more sporty ride but still have the 4x4, so i have a few questions concerning the more sportier side(i have searched too):

1. I know the wolverine has the same engine as the kodiak, so does that mean parts are interchangable, as in exhausts?

2. What do yall recommend for a cheaper slip-on exhuast? i like the hmf sport series, but it seems like it might be too loud?

3. How do you adjust the shocks?

4. I have read about people taking the top off of the air intake box, how much does this help and would i need to get a cover for the air filter if i did this?

Thanks in advance...

Old 04-09-2008, 08:21 AM
Pro Rider

1. i know most of the parts for the kodiak are the same as far as OEM. the easiest way to see is just go to a site like bikebandit.com and look up the part for the two and see if the PN is the same. as far as aftermarket i'm not sure.
2. i personally haven't went out and got the jet kit and exhaust yet but i hear good things about hmf and regardless of the slip-on it's going to be a little louder it's all what you want to deal with.
3. Good question my guess is you take it off and turn it to a new hieght.
4. i know the air box makes a pretty big difference when you're running something with a big carb and big jets. but an aftermarket air filter would probably give you the same results and you don't have to worry about compromising the protection. i've also heard of people drilling holes in the top to allow for more air flow. i guess it's what ever floats your boat

Old 04-09-2008, 09:37 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3) You can grab the silver part with a some channel locks on the bottom of the shock and give it a turn to adjust

4) If you do a lot of puddle/mud boggin (as your avatar reflects) I don't think it would be a great idea. It will allow water to seep into the top and start messing
with your fuel mixture. I added a K&N and jet kit on mine and it seemed to help without doing any box mods.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yhea with the pipe, I went with the GYTR because I was worried about the level of sound from the HMF plus I knew the gytr pipe would fit right. But I definetly would not remove the top of the airbox(unless all I did was dunes and dry riding. If that is all you plan on doing on the wolvy then I would recommend adding a K&N filter with an outerwears, or a uni filter.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Trailblazer

alright, thanks guys. actually i dont do a whole lot of mudding type of stuff(that was the best pic i had), i like to go fast[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

well if you like to go fast the wolvy probably isn't your best bet.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:52 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Nobody16

alright, thanks guys. actually i dont do a whole lot of mudding type of stuff(that was the best pic i had), i like to go fast[img][/img]</end quote></div>

I don,t run into serious mud often when riding,4x4 to me helps on steep high hills and slow large rock crawling sections which I encounter often.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:08 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: justhanginout

well if you like to go fast the wolvy probably isn't your best bet.</end quote></div>

i mean id rather go fast then be in the mud all the time, but like TLC said i still need the 4x4 for hill climbs and whatever i might encounter on the trail

Old 04-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider

well it's a good bike for trails and some mud where even going 25 to 30 feels way to fast. but if you want something that goes really fast yeah they max out at 56....

Old 04-09-2008, 02:37 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Any place you can ride 56mph would get rather dull. Any place I know of that you can hit over 50mph on a ATV is called a "road" not a "trail" and you better check behind you for a person in a truck with his ATV in the back, heading down that same road at 70mph to unload his ATV at a trail so he can start riding.

Maybe in a flat open desert speed might come in handy.

Quick Reply: Questions About New Wolverine?