Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

just baught a 03 warrior, how to change back bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just baught a 03 warrior, how to change back bearings?

ok i baught an 03 warrior today it needs back bearings, what goes in
too changing these, i want to do it my self, am ordering some off
ebay tomorrow and would like to get them ready to install
what needs to be taken off? do i need any special tools? thanks
for the help. Bearings are for the back wheels not the ones that hold
the swing arm to the frame.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:45 PM
Trailblazer

its really not hard but 1 REALLY IMPORTANT thing is that you will have to beat the axel out and when doing so DO NOT DO NOT actuly hit the axel take both hubs for the rear rims and put on 1 side and then hit that with the hammer other wise you will not get any nut back on to hold the hub on "learned from experience" but no special tools at all maybe a 2 cheep *** huge crescent wrenches but thats all

Old 05-29-2008, 11:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I wouldn't suggest cheap ebay bearings, unless you want to be changing them again soon. Spend a little more money and get quality stuff, even the "worldwide bearing" brand or whatever it is that rocky mountain atv sells is a lot better than some of the junk imported stuff that you find on ebay. Also make sure you get new seals for it, most of the time axle bearings go out, it's because water or other contaminants got into the bearings and ate them all up.

Getting the axle out will be the fun part, sometimes it seems like it'll never come out. Like was said, make sure you don't hit the axle directly on the threaded end. I prefer taking the hub off, threading the nut back on, and putting a socket over the nut to protect it and the axle from damage. Then basically just beat the crap out of it until it comes loose.

When you're putting it back together, make sure you clean everything up real good, get any kind of dirt or rust out of the carrier and axle before it goes back in. When you put the bearings back into the carrier be careful to put them in straight, if they get jammed in there sideways more problems will follow. When you're tapping them in, put a block against the outer race, not the inner race, or you'll risk destroying the bearings right away. Finally, grease the heck out of everything. I don't mean just rub a little bit on there half-heartedly, I mean MUAH MUAH HA!!! GREASE! GREASE!!! (you don't have to do the evil laugh if you don't want to, but it helps put you in the right mood haha). Pay special attention to getting as much grease as you can between the bearings and outer seals. The more grease you get in there, the longer the seals will last, and the longer the bearings will last. I actually drilled and tapped my axle carrier and put a grease zerk in so I could give it a couple extra pumps after riding. Because of that, I can guarantee the bearings in my warrior will never have to be changed as long as it lives.

Old 05-31-2008, 04:56 PM
Trailblazer

I got my rear bearing off ebay i did my research on them but 7 years later still no problem at all winter riding sand creeks mud all of it and there fine

Old 05-31-2008, 07:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah, i'm not saying that they're all junk, it's hit-and-miss with just about anything on ebay. To me it makes more sense to spend a few extra bucks and go with something that's known to be a quality product instead of taking the chance of having to tear it all down in a few months.