Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

'98 Grizz Piston Shattered...What mods should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2001, 12:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '98 Grizzly which i managed to kill. I somehow shattered the sideskirt off the piston, and cracked the cylinder sleeve. The shop(a different one then where i had bought the bike) has no idea as to how this happened, or why, and siad they wouldn't fix it as it would take too long and that the machine had too many miles on it, however their estimate was $2900. The service manager even had the ***** to tell me i should buy a new bike. My first thought was to find my dealer who had talked me out of the extended warranty...but he had been fired...guess someone beat me to it. Now after the bike has been sitting a year(this happened last january) I am motivated due to the great riding weather to fix my atv. I was eyeing the High Lifter Power kit 240 which includes piston, rings, cam, cylinder sleeve. The rep at highlifter said this kit ups the grizz's engine to a 675...which sounded good to me...my next tasks are to find a aftermarket crank for the bike and a shop which will install my aftermarket "goodies".
My grizzly was driven daily and sits in pieces in my garage with about 5,000 miles on it.
Justin Crandall
'98 Grizzly
Industructible bumper/warn winch
Custom 55" plow.