Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Free 2002 Grizzly 660

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 09:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Free 2002 Grizzly 660

I am so sick of the sputtering and spitting on my grizz. that I can't take it anymore. If it happens again I am going to give directions to my shed and the key in the Ignition and may the best or should I say the fastest person win the Grizz. I'll give you 12-24 hrs, then I'm calling the insurance company and collect my money. The dealer seems to make it worse buy putting friggin' cardboard around the carb bowl, Sick of them blaming it on gas in our area and so on. I got rid of a 98 warrior that ran slicker than a minnows weanie for a $6800 sputtering, gas boiling POS. Really though I love the power of the quad, suspension is the shiiittt and the looks of that front end is awesome, But I'm starting to think I should have gave in and bought a Honda. Just blowing of a little steam for therapy. It started while it was under warranty and as always the dealer proved to be worthless. Later[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 04-08-2003, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, that bites, sorry to hear about the bad luck!

Old 04-08-2003, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

Hey KyWarior .... Don't hold back .... tell us how you really feel !!

Old 04-08-2003, 09:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

That sucks dude. I guarantee you I'd be screaming for a Rincon or 500i if I had that happen to me. I'm not going to sit here and tell you that same old "Not all Grizzlies have this problem" business, cause I know I sure as hell would be pissed off if I was having that trouble. Hope things get better for you dude.

Old 04-08-2003, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

when i got mine, i had all the problems one can have with the grizzly. i got absolutly no help from yamaha( thats a shocker) so i took it upon myself to fix the issues. i have experimented with stuff, and through trial and error, have made my grizzly as solid as a rock. i wont ever own another yamaha, but i do so love my grizzly!!!
so, if you want some help on finding and fixing the problem, let me know. ( i am in no way trying to insult ya by offering either) tell me when and how is sputters, and under what conditions, and i bet i know how to fix it, lol!!! mine used to spit, sputter, die in water, overheat, boil gas, vaporlock, overheat, and so on. now i can go where few dare to wonder, lol
good luck and sorry about your frustrations, i do understand them.

Old 04-08-2003, 11:11 PM
Range Rover

adjusting the valves or the float level may cure the sputter problem.

Old 04-09-2003, 01:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I had the vapor lock thing or whatever it is one time. Got really pissed, and backed the bottom of the gas tank the next day with reflective heat tape. Then I wrapped the header pipe (which is like an inch from the carb) with Highlifter heat wrap, and never saw another hint of that nonsense again. Solved a problem which yamaha should have noticed when they designed it. I really do think they rushed this bike into production to compete with the 650 which had been out for like 8 months at the time.

Old 04-09-2003, 08:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the replies. Mich660, it happens after riding an hour or so and more if is slow riding. It sputters until it will die and always when you need the power the most before a big hill, etc. I also want to say don't think i'm lazy, I HAVE done a search and got alot of good ideas. The reason I haven't tried any is because it was still under warranty. But now it's in my hands and I'm going to give it try. I already started by drilling side covers,but haven't tried it out yet. Also Andy thanks for the ideas that you performed on yours. I'm thinking of trying all of them at once and see what happens. If it fixes it then Great, but if it doesn't then bye bye yamaha. Funny how the dealer says I'm only the second person that this has happened to, huh!Again thanks for the info, It is much appreciated. Oh before I forget, when it does happen you can hear the gas gurgling through the vent hose. Thanks and see ya;ll later.

Old 04-09-2003, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

kywarrior, i dont think your lazy at all, smart to say the least. you came here and asked the tons that have come before you in dealing with this issue.
now, about your issues. its simple. your overheating. big problem in the grizzly, when going slow for long periods, or under a load. it will boil gas, vaporlock the fuel, and spit and sputter till it dies, and always on a hill, lol.
there are a few solutions, but a combination will work for sure. number 1,) buy heat tape, and cover the bottom of the gas tank, as well as the carb side closest to the exhaust. you can even wrap the fuel line. cost is minimal at best. if you do it right, you should remove the gas tank cover, and tank. while your there, adjust the valves, they need it alot, and is important. 2.) side panel mods. i know you said you did them, so thats good. 3.) the number one thing i did was wrap the exhaust!!! you can have it dipped for about 100 dollars, and it looks and works great. or, if you want to do it yourself, you can wrap them. either way, the exhaust has to come off. cost for wrap is under 50 dollars. do it right, and tight, and it will do ausome for ya. mine has held up through it all, and is still perfect!!! now, if you do all this, i wont overheat anymore. if it does, then you have a thermostat problem. most likly your just overheating through slow riding.
you might also want to do a plug chop, just to make sure your not running real lean for some reason.
hope i helped, and beleave me, doing all this on mine absolutly solved my overheating problems.
also, keeping the radiator real clean is a must.
good luck

Old 04-10-2003, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider

Speaking of Grizzly's, what ever happend to "Frogman28" aka, Jonathon? He had some good stories and always kept us entertained and informed...didn't you ride with him a time or two, mich660griz?

Quick Reply: Free 2002 Grizzly 660