ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   07 wolverine stalls when wet....... (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/298161-07-wolverine-stalls-when-wet.html)

mrmom103ny 09-24-2008 12:05 AM

07 wolverine stalls when wet.......

Bought a new 07 wolverine for my son. rear tires go flat.... It spits and sputters and stalls when it gets wet. ...and even when it rains..????puzzling.......I cant even wash the damn machine......we rode with a friend who has an 08 450 big bear or whatever the yamaha utility 450 is.......we got stuck in a down pour .....both 450s started to skip and sputter.......I spoke with a neighbor who has a 660 4by4. and he has the same issue........anyone have any idea on this problem??.....sounds like something yamaha has problems with......???I havent tried to take it back to the dealer yet. I own a new yamaha phazer snowmachine also. which I like ..but has about a half dozen seriousengineering issues yamaha had to repair. I have never purchased anything yamaha until the last few years. It seems they have serious engineering issues.....my 2001 gp800r waverunner also has wierd issues........I guess ill have to go back to honda in the future...sorry i ventured to another brand....Ive had hondas for years.....no comparison.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]. any suggestions would be helpful.....

mechanicock 09-24-2008 04:53 PM

check all your electrical connections, its getting a short somewhere! there is also a waterproof electric grade grease available, cant remember the name. You should be able to diagnose the problem without going to the stealership. Get a Manual for your bike! The fact that both bikes had identical problems is almost a hard pill to swallow but stranger things have happend.

mrmom103ny 09-24-2008 11:48 PM

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]....a hard pill to swallow but none the lessstill a pill .......the two machines were actually skipping at the same time.....lol........both machines came from the same dealer....scratch my head for sure.....Ill give the electrical system a once over...........

thewolverine450 09-25-2008 10:58 PM

Did you buy them new? I have buried my wolverine in the mud and water deep enough to worry about water going into the intake and I have had no issues out of mine at all. That suck the problems you are having

chevy68 09-25-2008 11:51 PM

well i have never heard or had such a problem myself....i have had mine pretty deep in the water and no problem either....but i would bet it is some sort of electrical issue...not likley any sort of engineering issue if you ask me, more like something not being grounded or conected correctly.... get the greese... i did all my plugs to be safe. put some in the spark plug boot as well..

mrmom103ny 09-26-2008 01:29 AM

I will get some di-electric grease and install it on the plug boot........Im thinking it may be somewhere in the harness though..........I can spray the hose on the machine and shut it down.....my son rides it on the edge of the lake and it will start skipping also......Ill keep you posted...

250arrrr 09-26-2008 11:13 AM

I know this may sound almost toooo simple, but I had a customer come in the other day with the exact same problems. If he took his Grizzly 660 NEAR water it would act up, sputter or just completely shut off. He went through every connector, cleaned them and used dielectric grease. Still the same. So, he brings it to me and is almost ready to set it on fire!!! HAHA!!!! 20 minutes later, it's fixed and he's back to trail/mud & water riding.
Here's what I did ----- CLEANED THE CONNECTIONS AT THE BATTERY !!!! He cleaned every connector but those. What gave it away was the fact that when you turned the key on the dash would light up and immediately go off. I jiggled the wire at the bat. and it came back on. I cleaned up the dirt & stuff at the connections and he's thrilled.
Just my experience......

mrmom103ny 09-26-2008 11:24 AM

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]Ill give it a try........the dash light symptom you describe isnt somthing I have experienced......

miassmaro98 09-26-2008 11:45 AM

its the carb vent line,trust me i know ive had the same problem before.re route under the platic holder of the key ignition.ohh and clean your carb real good

TYMOUT 02-06-2009 05:24 PM

I have a problem with my woverine sputtering and shutting completely off when it hits 50 mph. What do you think is causing this?