ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   2002 warrior starter just spins (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/302702-2002-warrior-starter-just-spins.html)

bbsf23 12-09-2008 09:12 PM

2002 warrior starter just spins

Hey all this has got me stumped. I just did the oil cooler mod to my warrior, the one where you drill threw the right side case and add in your fittings and run to a cooler. Put it all back together, just have to adjust the clutch cable because it is not diengaging the motor fully when the clutch is in. The funny thing is, the quad started up the first time when it was all done so I could check to see if the oil was flowing threw the cooler. The 2nd time, all the starter does is spin, its not engaging the flywheel. I let it sit for a few minutes, then tried again and it started. I turned it off, tried turning it back on again, and same problem, starter just spins. I tried hitting the starter to see if that would free it up, but it did not work. The quad has good volts and all the electrical connections are good. I didnt touch anything to do with the starter. I do not understand why all of a sudden the starter would stop working? any help would be greatly apreciated! thanks in advance
craig

beefy46172 12-09-2008 09:44 PM

Sounds like you need a new bendix.

bbsf23 12-10-2008 02:30 PM

alrighty sounds good. I am gonna pull the starter off today, just a quick question. do i have to pull the left side case off to take the starter out, or do i just pull out the two bolts on the backside of the starter? thanks alot
craig

91Warrior357 12-10-2008 03:33 PM

you just have to remove the two bolts and it slides out.

bbsf23 12-10-2008 06:31 PM

alright thank you ill let you know how it goes tomorow!!!
craig

bbsf23 12-11-2008 12:52 PM

alright, i pulled the starter out this morning, hooked it up to a battery, and the teeth just spun, but did not pop out. now my question is, are they supposed to pop out, or are the teeth always engaged with the flywheel. i was under the assumption that the teeth popped out when starting, and went back in once you let go of the starter button. let me know what you guys think
craig

91Warrior357 12-11-2008 04:36 PM

the starter spins a one way starter clutch, it spins a shaft with two gears, one for the starter, then the second gear spins the flywheel, and in between the magneto and flywheel is a special type of bearing called a sprag and it only allows to spun freely one way so when u start it its engaged then after that it stops spinning. its hard to explain but hopefully you know what i mean.

bbsf23 12-11-2008 05:02 PM

alright that helps thank you. i decided to purchase all the parts necessary to replace the starter clutch. parts will be here next week som hopefully it will come off easliy. thanks everyone again for your help. if anyone has any pointers on replacing the starter clutch let me know!
craig

Bigdrap660 01-16-2009 01:58 PM

I am having a similar issue, but I think my starter is spinning backwards. Anybody have any idea which way the starter is supposed to spin? Right now its spinng clockwise and just spinning the one way bearing. When I run the starter in reverse polarity (counter clockwise) it turns the motor over. Any idea why the starter would be spinning backwards? Is it supposed to spin counter clockwise?

Dune Rat 2008 01-16-2009 05:08 PM

I think the starter is supposed to spin clockwise it could be that your leads are backwards and is already in reverse but when you change them it is the way its supposed to be hope that sounds right