ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   anyone using the new yamaha oil (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/304373-anyone-using-new-yamaha-oil.html)

330 01-04-2009 05:30 PM

anyone using the new yamaha oil

anyone using the new yamaha oil and do you like the results i have been using valvoline motorcycle oil and a napa filter for cost reasons wondering what others have been using thanks

cherokee99 01-04-2009 09:02 PM

i would go yamalube semi-synthetic if you want yamalube.

stephen19851209 01-05-2009 11:02 PM

i use Maxima MTL Transmission Fluid.i get it from the dealership and its $8 for a liter

DODGE57HEMI 01-05-2009 11:41 PM

I use Yamalube on both of my bikes only because that is the only thing that it has seen since day one. One of the biggest No No's is to start mixing non sythetic with synthetic oil and going back and forth. If I were you I would stay with Vavaline as staying with the same viscsity and brand of is more important than worrying if it using synthetic or non synthetic basicy once you start to use a oil stick with it as the properties of the engine dont like change.

If you look at any of the cars in my family all of them have use Valvaline in them since there fist oil change and all Except my Hemi (70.000)have over 150.000 miles with no engine problems (4in all) and 2 trucks with with over 350.000 miles.

If any of this makes sense to you great by no means am I an oil expert but I do like to stick with what works! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

sluckman 01-11-2009 03:13 AM

I bought a used '06 YFZ450 that had not been riden more than 20 hours since new.
I looked on line for Yamalube and was confused by all the choices. What specific Yamalube would you use and do you know of a good (cheap) online retailer? I live in West Tennessee and primarly trail ride. Any Info will help.
Thanks,
Scott

cluby 01-11-2009 11:03 AM

I am a yamaha service tech, we have been sellen people on there new 5w40 semi sythenic oil as you can use it year round. Has worked great in everything that we have put it in. It's 8.00 a quart, which isn't bad if your switching between winter and summer oil all the time.

Doctorturbo 01-11-2009 02:28 PM

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>One of the biggest No No's is to start mixing non sythetic with synthetic oil and going back and forth. If I were you I would stay with Vavaline as staying with the same viscsity and brand of is more important than worrying if it using synthetic or non synthetic basicy once you start to use a oil stick with it as the properties of the engine dont like change. </end quote></div>

What do you think a synthentic blend is made of????
Please read about oil here. before posting.

There are many other good sites to read about oil. Bobs the oil guy is another great site. If you want to lean about oil this is a great site.

sluckman 01-11-2009 03:01 PM

Ok DocTurbo,
I got it with mineral, semi and full synthetic. But I heard that you are not supposed to use oil labeled "Energy Conserving" due to the fact the it causes the clutches to slip and wear faster. Yamalube 5W-40 semi-synthetic is $8 a quart, and of course you can buy Vavaline for a lot less. Most of the car oils are labled "Energy Conserving", so my question is what oil/oils SPECIFICLY should I use in my 4-stroke, wet clutch quad (without spending $$$ every oil change)?
Thanks,
Scott

cluby 01-11-2009 04:12 PM

You and I both know what works or what we think works for us far as oils. Just keep changing oil and keeping up on manitance will make any motor last a long time.

Doctorturbo 01-11-2009 05:05 PM

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>But I heard that you are not supposed to use oil labeled "Energy Conserving" due to the fact the it causes the clutches to slip and wear faster.</end quote></div>
100% correct.
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Yamalube 5W-40 semi-synthetic is $8 a quart, and of course you can buy Vavaline for a lot less. Most of the car oils are labled "Energy Conserving", so my question is what oil/oils SPECIFICLY should I use in my 4-stroke, wet clutch quad (without spending $$$ every oil change)? </end quote></div>
You asked for my opinion so I will tell you just that.

I don't know where you live but where I live most oils are not energy conserving. Sure, I can find it, but most are not around here.
You know to stay away from the energy conserving oil, so it dosen't really matter anyway.

Others will disagree, (and that's fine) but any good automotive oil will do a good job.

I personally use Rotella 15/40 oil in everything I own. It's a commercial oil and has a more robust additive package than a regular car oil. Delo is another great commercial oil. Both are very cheap for what they are. You can get them at Wally World or K-mart or many other places. I even ran it in my GS 1100 for years, and when I sold it a 25K the engine used no oil. In all honesty, if I used the cheapest oil I could find it would still have run fine.

If I lived where it got crazy cold I would run a synthetic oil. I don't, so in most engines I own, I don't. Although some of my race engines I do run a synthetic oil to keep the temp down a touch.

Mobil 1 Amsoil and many others are great synthetic oils.

The bottom line is this. Of all the years I have been racing I can't blame one engine failure on oil. NOT ONE!!! If there was a real bad oil on the market there would be engines blowing up right and left. Oil failures are super, super rair.

Please don't JUST believe me or anybody else. Go on the Bods the oil guy link I provided and go to the motorcycle forums. Type in different search words like Rotella and read what comes up.

Good luck.