Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

08 Grizzly rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 09:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Grizzly rear brakes

Just got a new 2008 Grizzly 700 and took it for my first ride (today)....only got about 4 kms. on it and noticed that the rear brakes were smoking. Within a few minutes, pulled over and noticed that both the right and left ring wheels were completed melted off. Not sure what caused this but the melted plastic from the ring wheel actually burnt through the brake hose and now there is a leak with brake fluid coming out. There is no longer any pressure on the brake lever and hence...no back breaks at all.

Any idea what may have happened..suggestions, comments would be greatly appreciated. Would this be covered by warranty?

Old 02-15-2009, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider

Hello,
I have an 08 Griz myself and I am sure that this would be covered under warranty with only 4 km on it. I would sure be pissed if it wasn't. How do you like the griz so far? Kind of a dumb question probably since you have had immediate problems, but I am sure that this is a freak and not indicative of your total experience. I believe that Yamaha has the best line to choose from. I think I have 250 miles on mine now and have not had any breakdowns. I do experience the quad dying occasionally though, and don't think that is exactly right. I sometimes smell raw gas too. Time will tell.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply...this is my first atv purchase so I spent a great deal of time researching on-line and going to many dealerships and in the end, I felt Yamaha was the best bet. I'm extremely disappointed that this mishap has happened so quickly but I'm definitely not disillusioned by the product yet....I guess I'll have to wait and see what the dealer says.

I've got a bag full of bits & pieces from the rear ring wheels that completely melted off...it was very strange since I didn't feel I was losing any power as if the brakes were grabbing. But the brakes must have gotten extremely hot in order to cause that kind of damage...bizarre

Old 02-15-2009, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

Yes that is strange. I am sure that the dealership will take care of it completely. I love mine and like you did a ton of research before deciding on the griz. Everyone I talked to which consisted primarily of the service mechanics told me the same thing, Yamaha or Honda. The rest of the makes were less than reliable as far as most of the mechanics that I talked to were concerned. I have had Yamaha's for years and have never had a lemon. Keep us posted on how your problem gets resolved. I have experience dealing with Yamaha when it comes to this and was successful in getting work taken care of after the warranty had expired. It was with a couple of Wave Runners, but I am sure that you will be taken care of.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

Boy, we must have been talking to same people as everyone highly recommended both Yam's and Honda's. That's what I narrowed my search down to before leaning towards the Griz.

Dearlership doesn't open until Tuesday so I've got to wait until then....I'm bummed about not being able to ride this thing.

I'll let you know what happens!