ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   Ramps - buy or build? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/309712-ramps-buy-build.html)

chrisd0729 03-25-2009 07:44 AM

Ramps - buy or build?

I don't expect a huge need for ramps to get my Warrior in my truck because most of my riding id right behind my house. However, if I do need to transport it, I'd rather not have to lift it into my p/u by myself (05 Ram with 2" lift and 35's).

Is it worth buying a set of aluminum ramps for this seldom use or is it sufficient to build a set of ramps with 2x6's and the aluminum ends you can buy off ebay and at Home Depot? I figured if I build these I could stick some grip tape on the top of them so I don't slide off when riding up them. Ends are $12-15 and I could probably get the lumber for less than $20. Compare this to minimum $75 for aluminum sets.

Argyll 03-25-2009 11:08 AM

Ramps - buy or build?

You'll probably get varied opinions on whether it's "worth" it to spend on aluminum ramps. It's totally up to the individual really on whether they feel safe enough with wood built type ramps or not.

Me personally, I would spend the extra $40+ or however much to get a set of aluminum ramps that have the secure straps to hook to your truck. It only takes one time for your 4-wheeler to slip off the separate wood ones, or kick one out when loading. Wood gets pretty slick too with any water on it.

I loaded my Kodiak once with a friends wooden ramps, and after that single time, would never do it again. One of the ramps kicked back to where it was hanging by a thread onto the tailgate. One more 1/2 inch and it would have fallen off. I ordered a set of aluminum ramps the very next day, worth every penny.

Sidewinder500 03-25-2009 11:37 AM

Ramps - buy or build?

I made a set of wood ones years ago but i used 2 x 12s then mounted industrial strength velcro on the bottom side of the 1/4" angled iron to hold it to my tailgate so they wouldnt slip. I suppose you could screw some eye bolts in the sides of them and use tie downs to clip them to your tailgate straps to keep them from slipping. the biggest problems with the wood ones are extremely slick when wet, moving on you (sliding off tailgate or twising on an angle on you), and people making them too short. When you build them yourself you look at it and say ahhh 5' or 6' should be long enough. When the angle these things are used at and the slickness of the wood even in dry conditions is extremely dangerous, but making them too long and you are adding alot of stress to the middle of the board risking fracturing it and you again putting yourself at risk for injury.

So here is my suggestion if you decide to make your own..... Dont do, buy a real set... better safe than sorry. I still use mine but only to load quads onto a trailer that is 2 feet off the ground. to load my quads into a truck bed I shut off the gas stand them on the rear grab bar, back my truck up to them push the front tires onto the tailgate then lift the rear end up and roll it into my truck bed. Too many accidents happen using ramps regardless of purchased or made. Usually because people arent focused completely on what they are doing at the exact moment... they are thinking about the ride they are about to go on, did they pack everything they need, they are thinking about the ride they just went on, in a hurry to get on the road.... maybe look for a good used reasonable trailer and skip the ramps all together LOL

Swerve 03-25-2009 11:40 AM

Ramps - buy or build?

I am definitely with Argyll on this one. Unless you only plan on loading it a couple times while you own the 4 wheeler, I would just pay for ramps. They are safer and will last longer. You can use them for loading other things as well. Worth the investment for loading into a pickup.

maxlacy 03-25-2009 05:08 PM

Ramps - buy or build?

I would definately buy some instead of making them! I did the opposite until I broke my arm from the atv falling over off the "homemade" ramps and onto me. No matter how many times you use them, you can always sell them for about what you paid for em. I made some out of 2x6's w/ 1x2's every so often up and down them. The only problem was the tires were muddy when i was loading, and the one ramp slipped off the tailgate and guess what? Yep, right onto me! BAM! Broken arm and a Dr.'s bill. BUY THE METAL RAMPS!!

DODGE57HEMI 03-25-2009 06:35 PM

Ramps - buy or build?

I would also buy ramps as well. A good place to buy is Discountramps.com!

nwcutie 03-25-2009 07:11 PM

Ramps - buy or build?

1 Attachment(s)
Easy choice - buy your ramps. I made mine and they served me well for 4 years. Then at the end of the day, I was loading and ....

SNAP!!! One of the ramps busted in two and I was thrown to the ground! Thank god I had my chest protector and helmet on because
my head hit hard enough to make me dingy. With my gear on, the only owie I had was a big bruise where my backside landed on a rock.

Now I have aluminum ramps and ALWAYS keep my helmet on when loading!

Attachment 22431

91Warrior357 03-25-2009 07:27 PM

Ramps - buy or build?

i use wooden ramps lol my truck is so low to the ground anyway its not much of a biggie for me

free2blaze 03-25-2009 09:27 PM

Ramps - buy or build?

it would cost almost as much to build as it would to purchase, I built some but im only loading onto a small 4'x8' trailer that sits about 15" off the ground, I used treated 2x12 and ran some 2x2 angle along each side of each 2x12, they are just over 4' long and I feel completely safe useing them but I wouldent use a built ramp to load into a pickup because of the distance to the ground from the back of a truck, as the pic of the broken ramp from a previous post , it would be quite a fall on a quad from the back of a truck.

free2blaze 03-25-2009 09:29 PM

Ramps - buy or build?

and you said you have a 2" lift and 35's on your truck think about how it would feel to fall that far with your quad, ouch.