ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   Blaster for my 11 year old son? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/313985-blaster-my-11-year-old-son.html)

Banshee3342 06-13-2009 05:02 AM

Blaster for my 11 year old son?

I have been thinking about getting my son a 200cc blaster for awhile. But yesterday i was at the pit with my budys and there was a very fast blaster there. It was VERY fast. It was drag racing against the 450rs and beating them by a length. I was actually shocked! i asked the guy about the mods it had and he said it had a Portjob along with Vito's 240 kit along with a 34mm carb.

Im kind of reconsidering getting my son a blaster. Would ut be to powerful for him? What is a good quad for him. he is about 5'2 and 90 Lbs. Haha tall and skinny for his age. Maybe a trx 250ex, raptor 250, trx 300ex?

Terrellster 06-13-2009 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Banshee3342 (Post 2807208)
I have been thinking about getting my son a 200cc blaster for awhile. But yesterday i was at the pit with my budys and there was a very fast blaster there. It was VERY fast. It was drag racing against the 450rs and beating them by a length. I was actually shocked! i asked the guy about the mods it had and he said it had a Portjob along with Vito's 240 kit along with a 34mm carb.

Im kind of reconsidering getting my son a blaster. Would ut be to powerful for him? What is a good quad for him. he is about 5'2 and 90 Lbs. Haha tall and skinny for his age. Maybe a trx 250ex, raptor 250, trx 300ex?

Unless he's a very experienced rider at 11 years old,..... I'd be looking into a honda with the longitudinally mounted motor..... It's much smoother and (in my opinion) less powerful. I am 200 lbs + and the blaster is a handful for me. It is easily "manhandled" by a larger guy though. The best way to determine if it is "too much" for him, is to get on the one you are considering purchasing, and give it a ride yourself. You may feel comfortable with his abilities,..... I have an 11 year old Grandson who is Very Big for his age also (same height as your son, just a bit heavier) and I won't let him near mine.

91Warrior357 06-13-2009 04:54 PM

i think he would be fine, stock blasters are very tame, there a little peppy but nothing he shouldnt be able to handle and grow into, nice lightweight dependable bikes, then again a 250X or ex would be a nice choice also

Ampers 06-13-2009 06:23 PM

Pretty quick for an 11 yo

klotz6985 06-13-2009 07:55 PM

A blaster is a good atv to start out with if you think it is to fast you can always adjust the throttle.

keljose 06-13-2009 09:50 PM

Yeah, i just want to get him a good light starting out bike. Dont want him hurting himself. I will just ride with him and see how he does on a 300ex or a 250 raptor. Thanks guys.

D-rock14 06-14-2009 01:16 AM

the 300 ex would be an exellent choice it has power there for when he needs it but not too much to where he is gunnu be hurting himself on trails and such. my buddy has one and is 6ft or more and weighs almost 200 hundred pounds and it pulls him around nicely but its a four stroke witch in my mind would be eaisier to control and its a dependable quad. also once hes ready to move up that 300 hundred can be made faster than 450s with not alot of work. hoped this helped!!!!

firehog 06-14-2009 08:11 AM

My son started out on a blaster when he was 12. He was also tall. In stock form, it is very tame and imo a good starter quad. We eventually modded it out as he began racing. It carried him a long ways until I had to get something different because he was just too heavy and tall for it.

One of my buddies 14 year old daughter is riding a stock blaster and she loves it. It is stock and he does not plan on any mods until she gets a good feel for it. That time may never come, who knows. My only complaint about the blaster is the suspension!

I wouldn't pass up a good deal on one, but there are other good beginner atv's out there, too. You can always check out a Honda, they are much slower and good for beginners! LMAO! Just kidding all you Honda fans!!!!!

kingquad400 06-14-2009 09:19 AM

Get the blaster. If you get a smaller quad he will outgrow it fast. A stock blaster is fast but would never keep up with 450s like u mentioned. A 250 honda will beat a 200 blaster so if ur looking for a quad that isnt as fast dont get one with more cc's.....

dusty trails 06-15-2009 12:09 AM

Like the others said a stock Blaster should be fine and he'll have room to grow with it. Whats he riding now?