Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee running rich?

Old 09-05-2009, 11:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banshee running rich?

My friend has a 2006 Yamaha banshee and it smokes alot when he rides it. Even when it is hot. He doesn't premix his fuel the correct way. He just dumps a crap load of 2-stroke oil in the tank when he is full.

We will be riding for hours and blue smoke is just coming out like crazy the whole time which kind of looks cool lol.

I took it for a spin and it still ran really good and had tons of power. He has a set of DG top end pipes on it and k&N air filter pods. incase you need to know.

What is the worst that can happen by running it to rich? i know its better to run it rich then lean but i just want to know.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Carbon everywhere. I have seen chain saws so carboned up that they will not run because it will fill the port and muff screen with carbon. Carbon all over the top of the piston. Carbon and sticky oil in the pipe. Oil and carbon sticking the rings.
I have seen so much oil in the ring land it will glue the piston in the land and then loose compression.

This is why two strokes got a bad name IMHO. Next thing you know he will be on here asking why his shee does not run. Then he or someone else will say all two strokes are junk..........yada, yada, yada..............

Old 09-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Lord, how hard is it to grab a Ratio Rite funnel, or even just a measurig cup, and dump the proper ounces in a 5 gallon can??? I back Doc on this 100 %,that guy is asking for a gummed up motor, surprised the plugs aren't fouling out every other ride.
Sounds weird, but too much oil will actually make your engine run lean, the oil is just there for cylinder and lower end lube, the gas helps cool the combustion chamber, if you displace too much gas with a buttload of oil, you can end up running lean on fuel,at least it works that way with snowmobiles.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 95wolv
Good Lord, how hard is it to grab a Ratio Rite funnel, or even just a measurig cup, and dump the proper ounces in a 5 gallon can??? I back Doc on this 100 %,that guy is asking for a gummed up motor, surprised the plugs aren't fouling out every other ride.
Sounds weird, but too much oil will actually make your engine run lean, the oil is just there for cylinder and lower end lube, the gas helps cool the combustion chamber, if you displace too much gas with a buttload of oil, you can end up running lean on fuel,at least it works that way with snowmobiles.
Also a lot of the lubricating properties available in 2 stroke oil are capable of even less oil..... 50:1 is not uncommon. I mix mine 32:1 and it still smokes more than I'd like.... But it usually doesn't do that until it sits a few days with the mixed fuel in it. When it's freshly mixed it doesn't do it. I assume this is from the oil settling or from the fuel evaporating a little bit.... A Really meticulous person would drain the fuel out anytime the bike is to sit more than 24 hours,.... always replacing with new mix fuel.