Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Don't take your 2-strokes to yamaha!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't take your 2-strokes to yamaha!

My old blaster finally blew up 2 weeks ago when my girlfriend was driving it. We were just playing on the trail and she was following me on my banshee.
All it needed was a new Piston, rings, seals, and a little honing. No damage was conflicted upon the crank.

I wasn't in the mood to rebuild the Blaster myself and i had some money on my hands so i just said, "Hell ill take it to Yamaha, how much could they possibly charge to rebuild a little 198cc 2-stroke" I took it in 2-weeks ago.

Just got a call today and they told me my engine was ready to be picked up. I asked what the pricing of it was and it seemed as if the guy was avoiding my question. So i asked again and i was shocked to hear 890 bucks! I was like, "No god damn way" I am actually pretty pissed off about it. That is ridiculous. So he says it is including shop time. They must of taken 5 hours to rebuild the damn thing.

Anyways, just letting you all know. Please.. if you have a 2-stroke, Don't be lazy and try rebuilding it yourself or try to find another builder besides Yamaha. I definitely just ruined my month.. I am going to discuss the pricing further as soon as i get there.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by keljose
My old blaster finally blew up 2 weeks ago when my girlfriend was driving it. We were just playing on the trail and she was following me on my banshee.
All it needed was a new Piston, rings, seals, and a little honing. No damage was conflicted upon the crank.

I wasn't in the mood to rebuild the Blaster myself and i had some money on my hands so i just said, "Hell ill take it to Yamaha, how much could they possibly charge to rebuild a little 198cc 2-stroke" I took it in 2-weeks ago.

Just got a call today and they told me my engine was ready to be picked up. I asked what the pricing of it was and it seemed as if the guy was avoiding my question. So i asked again and i was shocked to hear 890 bucks! I was like, "No god damn way" I am actually pretty pissed off about it. That is ridiculous. So he says it is including shop time. They must of taken 5 hours to rebuild the damn thing.

Anyways, just letting you all know. Please.. if you have a 2-stroke, Don't be lazy and try rebuilding it yourself or try to find another builder besides Yamaha. I definitely just ruined my month.. I am going to discuss the pricing further as soon as i get there.
Well DUH!..... Dealerships are commonly referred to as Stealerships for that kind of price..... BUT!.... I work in a mechanic shop (I work on small engine powered equipment) and engine work usually costs a boat load more than anything else I do... time is the paying item here and at the dealerships.... They charge a paltry 65 bucks an hour at my place,.... I bet the Yamaha dealership charges a LOT more per hour. Usually we give a lottle on the prices we charge,... why I don't know,.. but we do. The machines I work on are carpet cleaning equipment and the owners are making some serious cash off the damn thing, and we cut our prices to get their business..... And all of them come in the shop saying they don't like to take their machines anywhere else.... could it be the lowballed pricing? Probably.

Basically, I guess I'm askin' "what did you expect?".... but I also feel your pain man. Sorry for the long diatribe of useless stuff.... but it bears repeating often.... Like you said,... It's an itty bitty 2 stroke,.... If it had been a 4 stroke it would probably cost even more....

Ouch.....

Old 07-02-2010, 07:36 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 165 Likes on 164 Posts

As much as that does suck, I'd say for a dealer that's about the going rate. Figure they charged you 7 or 8 hours labor at 80 bucks an hour. And of course they used Yamaha parts so that doubles anything you could have picked up yourself.

I do hope they gave you some type of warranty on it.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:00 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

My Polaris dealer wanted to sell me a Rad fan for $320 that I found the same one NEW on Ebay for $65. You buy a ATV at the dealership,after that hopefully you never see them again.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dealers are good for warranty work and hard to find OEM parts. that's about it. it's nothing personal, just a business decision driven by my wallet. i try to avoid them as much as i can. as a matter of fact, trying to avoid dealer shops drove me to find this website! i guess i need to thank the local dealers for that, huh?! thanks...........

Old 07-02-2010, 10:24 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Even the warranties are useless up here,there only 6 months long and are used up as the ATV sits in a shed all winter long.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default sits in a shed?

you don't take'em out in the winter? or is your part of the country overwhelmed with a lot of snow/ice to take'em out and play?

Old 07-02-2010, 11:19 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Jaster94
you don't take'em out in the winter? or is your part of the country overwhelmed with a lot of snow/ice to take'em out and play?
Its more snowmobile Country up here, even though a few tried and failed.

Name:  Snowditch.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  98.7 KB

Old 07-02-2010, 11:22 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 165 Likes on 164 Posts

I would expect they gave at least a 30 day warranty. Of course, even if they did I'm sure they'd find another reason anything failed.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

yea i used to work at a dealership and there pricing is definitely retarded, thats just a 2 stroke now imagine a 4 stroke lol...blasters got to be like the easiest quad to rebuild yourself, i know i would have did it myself only thing i wont do of course is machine work...

Quick Reply: Don't take your 2-strokes to yamaha!