Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Breeze Starter vs Starter clutch, help please

Old 09-14-2010, 09:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha Breeze Starter vs Starter clutch, help please

1999 Yamaha Breeze Starter vs Starter Clutch.
I just bought my daughter a 99 Breeze. It starts and runs great. However, sometimes, when it is turned off and she tries to restart, the starter will spin but not engage. If I tap the starter with a hammer, it seems to engage. One person told the bendix may be sticking. Another person told me there is no bendix because the starter is always engaged. So I am confused. I do not know if it needs a new starter or starter clutch. If it works when I tap the starter with a hammer, I tend to think it is the starter. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
I am a novice mechanic. So, if it is the starter clutch, is this difficult to change?
THANKS

Old 09-14-2010, 10:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

1999 Yamaha Breeze Starter vs Starter Clutch.
I just bought my daughter a 99 Breeze. It starts and runs great. However, sometimes, when it is turned off and she tries to restart, the starter will spin but not engage. If I tap the starter with a hammer, it seems to engage. One person told the bendix may be sticking. Another person told me there is no bendix because the starter is always engaged. So I am confused. I do not know if it needs a new starter or starter clutch. If it works when I tap the starter with a hammer, I tend to think it is the starter. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
I am a novice mechanic. So, if it is the starter clutch, is this difficult to change?
It's the one way bearing...........or in you're terms.........the starter clutch.
It's under the cover on the left side of the engine.

Kind of a beach to get to. Not to bad though.

Like everything on a quad or bike. You have to take this off because you have to take that off.........oh, to get that off, you have to take that off.......oh, to take that off you have...........and on it goes.......

It is about 60 to 70 bones for the one way. I bet one or more of the 20 cent springs are bad.......

Anyway, just replace the one way and you will be good to go.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:14 AM
Range Rover

My one-way or starter clutch went out in my raptor and tapping on the starter would do nothing for it.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Yamaha Breeze Starter vs Starter Clutch

Thanks for your input. Last night when I started it, it would spin, then grind, then start. Does the grinding still indicate it is the one way bearing? Also, how come when I tap on the starter, itself, it seems to fix the problem, although temporarily? Another person outside of the forum mentioned the brushes with the starter. Thoughts...please!

Old 09-15-2010, 09:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

If it were the brushes it would not spin until you wacked it. It would act like a dead battery.

The one way is a sprag. If the starter motor just spins and spins the sprag is not locking on the shaft. I use to rock the crap out of mine to get it to lock the one way up so it would start. Any jarring would move the spring just enough to lock the sprag up. Pretty soon it got so bad it would not lock up. Replaced it and never had any problem.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the input Doctor! I really appreciate it. Looks like I will become a mechanic, after all.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

No problem. Let us know how it works out for you.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

I replaced my starter clutch and it still does the same thing when it gets warmed up. If I smack the starter with a hammer it will catch. If the quad cools down it will catch. Brand new yamaha brand starter clutch.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Do not hit starters with hammers, they have magnets glued onto the case, which are quite capable of dropping off and jamming the starter without the help of someone hitting the case with a hammer.

Did you fit a new inner part of the one way clutch, the bit attached to the crankshaft? If not, was it in good condition and clean and dry (no oil)? Are the gears on the starter motor and any reduction gears in good condition? If all that lot is good, take the starter apart, clean it out, and check the bearings and brushes.