ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   2001 Raptor 660r STARTER CLUTCH????? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/333357-2001-raptor-660r-starter-clutch.html)

caleyeldridge10 12-17-2010 05:02 PM

2001 Raptor 660r STARTER CLUTCH?????

I have a 01 raptor 660r and my husband thought that my starter motor was bad, we replaced it but it did not fix the problem, when i go to start it the starter just keeps turning over and turning over but the actual motor does not turn over at all. IT WILL ROLL START THOUGH! Also my husband is leaning towards the starter clutch because he said that when replacing the starter, some of the gears (i hope thats the right word) were loose or something, He said that some of the gears were moving when they should not have been. HELP PLEASE!! I just bought this thing (used) 2 weeks ago :( bummer!

nickjmck 12-17-2010 06:41 PM

um..... you better hope that you changed the starter clutch before it started to dump small pieces into the oil sump or in the tranny. check that out, don't replace it with the regular yamaha starter clutch, replace it with L&A or extreme aftermarket one-way because they last longer. Also replace the 52 tooth gear which is very necessary. well.... i hope that solves your problem.
__________________________________________________ _
2001 yamaha raptor 660r(problem child) father's :(
1995 yamaha warrior 350(borrowing)
2008 yamaha raptor 250(soon) :)
2006 yamaha raptor 80 :(

caleyeldridge10 12-17-2010 08:15 PM

Pieces in the oil

My husband said that he drained all the oil out today and it was clean so i guess were okay in that department, but yes i have been looking for the starter clutch kit (one way) and i think thats what were going to get. I am stressing though, with the starter turning over and it running if you roll start it, does that make since that it is the starter clutch and gear?

papa hogg scoot 12-18-2010 06:41 AM

Yes it is very possible thats is whats going on.The starting clutch enages when engine is stop,its has bearing that kicks out into flywheel gear to grab hold of flywheel gear [this gear mate another gear to starter when starter is enaged], when engine cranks the bearing turns loose and freewheels while engine is running,So if your starter clutch bearing and gear is bad it can,t hold anymore which makes it slips while starting.. Atv doesn,t use this bearing and gear when push off only when starter is used..Good Luck.I hope this makes sense I tried to keep it simple the best i could, I didn,t won,t use the correct names for parts,may get you confused more..

caleyeldridge10 12-23-2010 09:42 PM

Totally understand

THat makes perfect since!! thanks sooo much. We have a new starter clutch on the way, and the flywheel is off now so it should be quick to see if it works or not when it gets here, should be tomorrow! :) thanks again.
Caley

papa hogg scoot 12-26-2010 08:35 AM

Need updates on raptor when finished.....

caleyeldridge10 12-29-2010 06:29 PM

ITS FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was the starter clutch. We got the extreme 1way starter clutch with the upgraded barrings, installed the kit and it works just fine!! :) thank you all soo much for the help!

papa hogg scoot 12-31-2010 07:04 AM

Glad enjoy ride!!!!!!!!!! HARRY NEW YEAR TO YOU...

Bakari Randolph 05-15-2017 10:55 PM

I replaced my starter clutch on my 660 but when I tighten the flywheel bolt the one way won't spin

merryman 05-16-2017 03:35 AM

Seems like you have assembled it wrongly, or, if aftermarket, you may have got a badly machined part. Take it apart and see if you can find what is binding, or fitted wrongly compared to the one you took out.